Re: Not receiving copy of e-mail I have sent

  • Marián Černý
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 9:26 AM
      On 1.3.2012, at 15:35, Michael P. Demelbauer wrote:
      >> I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:
      >>
      >> first: first, second
      >>
      >> However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?
      >
      > you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
      > first_alias: first, second

      This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to Mark as well:

      john: john, mark

      But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@ that would be an alias to john).

      The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in Postfix?

      Marian
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1 9:36 AM
        Mari?n ?ern?:
        > On 1.3.2012, at 15:35, Michael P. Demelbauer wrote:
        > >> I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:
        > >>
        > >> first: first, second
        > >>
        > >> However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?
        > >
        > > you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
        > > first_alias: first, second
        >
        > This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup
        > but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to
        >
        > john: john, mark
        >
        > But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a
        > copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid
        > if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@
        > that would be an alias to john).
        >
        > The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and
        > recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in
        > Postfix?

        Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
        of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
        sender).

        Wietse
      • Marián Černý
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1 10:06 AM
          Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Mari?n ?ern?:

          >>> you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
          >>> first_alias: first, second
          >>
          >> This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup
          >> but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to
          >>
          >> john: john, mark
          >>
          >> But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a
          >> copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid
          >> if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@
          >> that would be an alias to john).
          >>
          >> The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and
          >> recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in
          >> Postfix?
          >
          > Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
          > of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
          > sender).

          I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:

          John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one. Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)

          Marian
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1 10:21 AM
            Mari?n ?ern?:
            > > Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
            > > of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
            > > sender).
            >
            > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
            >
            > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior
            > one. Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when
            > Mark sends an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his
            > own e-mail.)

            I have a suggestion: tell them to press the DELETE button when they
            see their own email. If people feel this is an excessive burden,
            then maybe they should spend less of their life doing email.

            Wietse
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1 10:24 AM
              Am 01.03.2012 19:06, schrieb Marián Černý:
              >> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
              >> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
              >> sender).
              >
              > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
              >
              > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
              > Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
              > an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)

              i would solve both on the MDA

              in dbmail as example i can set
              "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
              "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."

              additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
              where from and to matches "mark@..."

              done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
              however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
              because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
              messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
              the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP
            • Marián Černý
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5 11:35 PM
                Reindl Harald wrote:
                >>> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
                >>> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
                >>> sender).
                >>
                >> I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
                >>
                >> John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
                >> Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
                >> an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)
                >
                > i would solve both on the MDA
                >
                > in dbmail as example i can set
                > "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
                > "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."
                >
                > additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
                > where from and to matches "mark@..."
                >
                > done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
                > however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
                > because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
                > messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
                > the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP

                Thanks for the tip. I was not using MDA before. I have installed maildrop for that purpose and managed to configure it to discard emails where sender equals recipient.

                Marian