Not receiving copy of e-mail I have sent

  • Marián Černý
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:

      first: first, second

      However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?

      Thanks for any help,

      Marian
    • Michael P. Demelbauer
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 02:43:53PM +0100, Marián Černý wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:
        >
        > first: first, second
        >
        > However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?
        >
        > Thanks for any help,
        >
        > Marian

        Hello,

        you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
        first_alias: first, second

        In the given sample I'm only surprised, that second doesn't get 2
        copies of the mail sent to first.
        I would expect that mailto: first would resolve to first, second,
        second.

        Why not? :-)

        cheers
        --
        Michael P. Demelbauer
        Systemadministration
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          On 1.3.2012, at 15:35, Michael P. Demelbauer wrote:
          >> I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:
          >>
          >> first: first, second
          >>
          >> However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?
          >
          > you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
          > first_alias: first, second

          This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to Mark as well:

          john: john, mark

          But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@ that would be an alias to john).

          The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in Postfix?

          Marian
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            Mari?n ?ern?:
            > On 1.3.2012, at 15:35, Michael P. Demelbauer wrote:
            > >> I want to send copies of e-mails sent to a user first@ to be sent to another user second@. I have the following alias:
            > >>
            > >> first: first, second
            > >>
            > >> However, if user second@ sends e-mail to first@, he receives a copy of that e-mail. How to configure postfix so that the copy is not sent?
            > >
            > > you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
            > > first_alias: first, second
            >
            > This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup
            > but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to
            >
            > john: john, mark
            >
            > But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a
            > copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid
            > if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@
            > that would be an alias to john).
            >
            > The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and
            > recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in
            > Postfix?

            Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
            of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
            sender).

            Wietse
          • Marián Černý
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
              Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Mari?n ?ern?:

              >>> you should use a different name for the mailgroup, something like:
              >>> first_alias: first, second
              >>
              >> This is not a suitable solution for me, because it is not a mailgroup
              >> but real users. Imagine I want all John's e-mails to be sent to
              >>
              >> john: john, mark
              >>
              >> But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, I don't want Mark to get a
              >> copy of the e-mail he sent to his inbox (and it would be stupid
              >> if Mark would have to use a different e-mail address, e.g. john2@
              >> that would be an alias to john).
              >>
              >> The solution would be: drop all e-mails where sender is john@ and
              >> recipient is john@. Is it possible to configure such behavior in
              >> Postfix?
              >
              > Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
              > of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
              > sender).

              I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:

              John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one. Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)

              Marian
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                Mari?n ?ern?:
                > > Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
                > > of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
                > > sender).
                >
                > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
                >
                > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior
                > one. Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when
                > Mark sends an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his
                > own e-mail.)

                I have a suggestion: tell them to press the DELETE button when they
                see their own email. If people feel this is an excessive burden,
                then maybe they should spend less of their life doing email.

                Wietse
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Am 01.03.2012 19:06, schrieb Marián Černý:
                  >> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
                  >> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
                  >> sender).
                  >
                  > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
                  >
                  > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
                  > Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
                  > an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)

                  i would solve both on the MDA

                  in dbmail as example i can set
                  "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
                  "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."

                  additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
                  where from and to matches "mark@..."

                  done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
                  however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
                  because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
                  messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
                  the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP
                • Marián Černý
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                    Reindl Harald wrote:
                    >>> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
                    >>> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
                    >>> sender).
                    >>
                    >> I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
                    >>
                    >> John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
                    >> Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
                    >> an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)
                    >
                    > i would solve both on the MDA
                    >
                    > in dbmail as example i can set
                    > "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
                    > "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."
                    >
                    > additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
                    > where from and to matches "mark@..."
                    >
                    > done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
                    > however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
                    > because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
                    > messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
                    > the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP

                    Thanks for the tip. I was not using MDA before. I have installed maildrop for that purpose and managed to configure it to discard emails where sender equals recipient.

                    Marian