Re: SASL and Postfix

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
      Am 02.02.2012 16:22, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
      > But your link appears to be for mail clients. I'm not using a mail
      > client other than sendmail.

      this does not interest the server on the other side
      for him you are a client like each other

      > The from addresses already match AT&T mailbox names.

      and you are trying to use a yahoo server

      if you send authenticated mails using yahoo servers
      as relay you are supposed to use yahoo-addresses
      or have to setup you own server

      > Perhaps I am missing what the MAIL FROM is really supposed to be

      yahoo i guess if you are using a yahoo server

      if you are using our server for sending relay messages it will also
      only accept senders with domains we own and at least the whole
      address must exist
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
        Am 02.02.2012 16:36, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        > Actually it is AT&T and they subcontract out their mail services to Yahoo. That is the transition I am trying to
        > resolve. However, you have jogged something in my mind. Although my Postfix is authenticating as a legitimate user
        > to the yahoo server, the mail being sent is from a different, albeit, legitimate user. I wonder if the
        > authenticated user has to match the MAIL FROM user?

        would you PLEASE reply to the list and not permanently only to me
        and put your answer BELOW the other one to make a thread readable?

        yes it is possible and not uncommon that the sender must match the login
        postfix does this with "reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch" and
        it is not unusual to prevent outgoing mails spoofing the sender
      • Dennis Putnam
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
          Sorry, I hit the reply rather than the reply all. This is the only discussion list I'm on that does not put the mailing list address in a reply-to or to. I mostly lurk here so by habit I just use reply.

          Anyway, thanks and I think I understand what I need to do. I don't think postscript can be configured to authenticate based on the from user (maybe it can but I don't see how). Anyway, I think AT&T provides a means of adding verified users so one user can send messages on behalf of subaccounts.

          --
          Dennis Putnam, Systems Administrator
          Acquisitions Integration
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
            Dennis Putnam:
            > Thanks but I don't see the relevance of this to my postfix
            > configuration. Wong link?

            Wietse:
            > According to the SMTP server's reply, you need to set up a verified
            > sender address.

            Dennis Putnam:
            > But your link appears to be for mail clients. I'm not using a mail
            > client other than sendmail.

            You are sending mail through Yahoo. Therefore you must configure
            Postfix to use a verified sender address.

            To set up that verified sender address, see the Yahoo webpage.