Re: SASL and Postfix

  • Dennis Putnam
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
      But your link appears to be for mail clients. I'm not using a mail client other than sendmail. The from addresses already match AT&T mailbox names. Perhaps I am missing what the MAIL FROM is really supposed to be.

      On 02/02/2012 10:16 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      Dennis Putnam:

      Thanks but I don't see the relevance of this to my postfix
      configuration. Wong link?

      According to the SMTP server's reply, you need to set up a verified
      sender address.

      I't up to you to decide if that is relevant.

      	Wietse

      On 02/02/2012 10:01 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

      Dennis Putnam:

      My ISP has recently changed my mail server so that I am forced to use
      authentication. I am using SASL with a hash file. That all seems to be
      working. However, I am unable to send mail because for some reason
      postfix is not sending a MAIL FROM command. The relevant sequence of
      messages I get from my ISP's server is:

      Feb  2 08:50:06 dap002 postfix/smtp[13796]: 06B8D1803:
      to=<XXXXXXXX@...>, relay=smtp.att.yahoo.com[98.138.31.74]:25,
      delay=0.62, delays=0.02/0.05/0.46/0.09, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
      smtp.att.yahoo.com[98.138.31.74] said: 553 From address not verified -
      see
      http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

      Postfix sends MAIL FROM, but yahoo does not like it.

      For instructions on how to set up a "verified" address, see:

      http://web.archive.org/web/20080511191247/http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

      *Dennis Putnam*, Systems Administrator
      Acquisitions Integration
      Data Net IT at Cisco
      770-236-6922

      --
      Dennis Putnam, Systems Administrator
      Acquisitions Integration
      Data Net IT at Cisco
      770-236-6922
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
        Am 02.02.2012 16:22, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
        > But your link appears to be for mail clients. I'm not using a mail
        > client other than sendmail.

        this does not interest the server on the other side
        for him you are a client like each other

        > The from addresses already match AT&T mailbox names.

        and you are trying to use a yahoo server

        if you send authenticated mails using yahoo servers
        as relay you are supposed to use yahoo-addresses
        or have to setup you own server

        > Perhaps I am missing what the MAIL FROM is really supposed to be

        yahoo i guess if you are using a yahoo server

        if you are using our server for sending relay messages it will also
        only accept senders with domains we own and at least the whole
        address must exist
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
          Am 02.02.2012 16:36, schrieb Dennis Putnam:
          > Actually it is AT&T and they subcontract out their mail services to Yahoo. That is the transition I am trying to
          > resolve. However, you have jogged something in my mind. Although my Postfix is authenticating as a legitimate user
          > to the yahoo server, the mail being sent is from a different, albeit, legitimate user. I wonder if the
          > authenticated user has to match the MAIL FROM user?

          would you PLEASE reply to the list and not permanently only to me
          and put your answer BELOW the other one to make a thread readable?

          yes it is possible and not uncommon that the sender must match the login
          postfix does this with "reject_authenticated_sender_login_mismatch" and
          it is not unusual to prevent outgoing mails spoofing the sender
        • Dennis Putnam

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
              Dennis Putnam:
              > Thanks but I don't see the relevance of this to my postfix
              > configuration. Wong link?

              Wietse:
              > According to the SMTP server's reply, you need to set up a verified
              > sender address.

              Dennis Putnam:
              > But your link appears to be for mail clients. I'm not using a mail
              > client other than sendmail.

              You are sending mail through Yahoo. Therefore you must configure
              Postfix to use a verified sender address.

              To set up that verified sender address, see the Yahoo webpage.