Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
      Am 01.02.2012 22:56, schrieb Ori Bani:
      > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      >> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
      >> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html%5d
      >>
      >> Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
      >> particular order are:
      >>

      > Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
      > this? Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking

      who is Simon Mudd?

      rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
      was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM
    • Ori Bani
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

        > Am 01.02.2012 22:56, schrieb Ori Bani:
        >> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        >>> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
        >>> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html%5d
        >>>
        >>> Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
        >>> particular order are:
        >>>

        >> Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
        >> this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking
        >
        > who is Simon Mudd?
        >
        > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
        > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

        No need to respond if you don't know the answer to the question.

        Many people here know who Simon is. See http://postfix.wl0.org/
      • ml
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012

          --
          http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
          gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

          http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
          http://gplus.to/sshfake
          http://gplus.to/sshswilting
          http://gplus.to/john.swilting
          https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
          This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
          provided they receive a note of presentation
        • ml
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
            Le jeudi 02 février 2012 à 03:13 +0100, ml a écrit :
            > Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 23:01 +0100, Reindl Harald a écrit :

            > > > Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
            > > > this? Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking
            > >
            > > who is Simon Mudd?
            > >
            > > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
            > > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

            i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
            for fine for me
            The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
            I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
            correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm

            still rpm source is disponible here
            http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm

            thanks

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
              2012/2/1 ml <ml@...>:

              > Le jeudi 02 février 2012 à 03:13 +0100, ml a écrit :

              >> > who is Simon Mudd?
              >> >
              >> > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
              >> > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM
              >>

              > i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
              > for fine for me
              > The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
              > I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
              > correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
              >
              > still rpm source is disponible here
              > http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm

              Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
              I can read - even if his package will take longer. Something about
              the trust factor perhaps.
            • ml
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 19:30 -0800, Ori Bani a écrit :
                > 2012/2/1 ml <ml@...>:

                > > i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
                > > for fine for me
                > > The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
                > > I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
                > > correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
                > >
                > > still rpm source is disponible here
                > > http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm
                >
                > Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
                > I can read - even if his package will take longer. Something about
                > the trust factor perhaps.

                I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok

                --
                http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
                gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

                http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
                http://gplus.to/sshfake
                http://gplus.to/sshswilting
                http://gplus.to/john.swilting
                https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
                This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
                provided they receive a note of presentation
              • Simon Brereton
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012

                  On Feb 1, 2012 11:20 PM, "ml" <ml@...> wrote:

                  > Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 19:30 -0800, Ori Bani a écrit :

                  > > > i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
                  > > > for fine for me
                  > > > The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
                  > > > I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
                  > > > correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
                  > > >
                  > > > still rpm source is disponible here
                  > > > http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm
                  > >
                  > > Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
                  > > I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
                  > > the trust factor perhaps.
                  >

                  > I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok

                  Sadly you weren't being judged on your work but on the quality of your second, or third, language..

                  The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's rpm's will do.

                  I'm sure other people will thank you tho.

                  Simon

                • Ori Bani
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                    On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Simon Brereton
                    <simon.brereton@...> wrote:

                    > On Feb 1, 2012 11:20 PM, "ml" <ml@...> wrote:

                    >> > Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
                    >> > I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
                    >> > the trust factor perhaps.
                    >>

                    >> I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok
                    >
                    > Sadly you weren't being judged on your work but on the quality of your
                    > second, or third, language..

                    Having thought about it, I agree with you, I was a bit harsh given the
                    language barrier. It's not fair to smart people who may not speak
                    English so well, but when you see an email from someone new that is
                    really hard to understand and not written in even simple sentences and
                    without spell check, well, you do have to make *some* judgments.
                    Anyway, sorry to "ml" (another reason to be iffy).

                    > The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's rpm's will do.

                    Yes, as they've built a reputation for being quite reliable and well done.
                  • Nikolaos Milas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                      On 2/2/2012 12:01 πμ, Reindl Harald wrote:

                      > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
                      > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

                      Hi,

                      Where can we find a 2.8.x .src.rpm with *standard* Centos 5 postfix
                      features (ldap, sasl, tls etc.)

                      Thanks,
                      Nick
                    • /dev/rob0
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                        On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:00:56PM -0800, Ori Bani wrote:
                        > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Simon Brereton
                        > <simon.brereton@...> wrote:
                        > > The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's
                        > > rpm's will do.
                        >
                        > Yes, as they've built a reputation for being quite reliable and
                        > well done.

                        Agreed, Simon does a good job with his SRPMs. But also agreed with
                        other posters: it is not difficult to edit Simon's spec file and roll
                        your own. I'm sure that is what he does with most new releases.
                      • Simon J Mudd
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11, 2012
                          oribani@... (Ori Bani) writes:

                          > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                          > > [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
                          > > http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html%5d
                          > >
                          > > Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
                          > > particular order are:
                          > >

                          > Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
                          > this? Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking.

                          Hi. Best I answer I guess. As most of you probably realise I'm not
                          following postfix much now. Work and family means I have a lot less
                          time to do that, but also I started working on the rpms when there
                          were none. Now that situation is quite different.

                          So I've been poked that 2.9 is out (thanks) and I will have a look
                          over the next few days to see if I can build a 2.9 version of my rpms.
                          I've also updated the 2.8 version to 2.8.8, as they were a bit behind.
                          If others think that I should update the other older versions please
                          let me know.

                          So if people still have an interest in my rpms and find them out of date,
                          missing functionality etc, pleas poke me offlist directly and I'll respond
                          as and if I can. It's great to see that postfix development is still
                          ongoing and if the work I've been doing is still useful for some then
                          I'll try and keep up to date.

                          Simon

                          Also look at: https://github.com/sjmudd/postfix-rpm where the source
                          of the rpm build scripts I use is kept.