Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

  • James Seymour
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
      Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > Thanks, Jim.

      You're welcome, Wietse. And thank *you* for Postfix.

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
    • DN Singh
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
        On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM, James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:
        On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
        Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > Thanks, Jim.

        You're welcome, Wietse.  And thank *you* for Postfix.

        Regards,
        Jim
        filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

        Thanks both of you for these wonderful tools... :)
      • Nikolaos Milas
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
          On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:

          > rel-1.1.4 20120201

          Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

          I have upgraded to v1.1.4 and it runs smoothly on our CentOS 5.7.

          A question on pflogsumm:

          Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from particular
          origins?

          For example, here is an excerpt from a report:

          Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
          ---------------------------------------
          connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
          ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- -----------------
          2465 4:28:50 7s 296s admin.example.com
          104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

          As you can see, most connections come from admin.example.com, where our
          mail gateway server (gw.admin.example.com) lies; that server is the
          origin of most of the connections (almost all).

          The problem is that if the traffic from the gateway server is not
          reported separately, stats for the whole of admin.example.com are in a
          way deceptive.

          (Note: number of connections is low, since our mail gateway has already
          filtered all unwanted connections.)

          So, is there a way to specify that we want separate stats e.g. for
          gw.admin.example.com? Then, the report would become something like:

          Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
          ---------------------------------------
          connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
          ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------------
          2365 4:24:30 7s 296s gw.admin.example.com
          100 0:04:50 4s 8s admin.example.com
          104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

          Note: In this report, admin.example.com would/should not include stats
          for gw.admin.example.com, for which we want separate stats.

          Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to display
          stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than for
          particular hosts?

          Thanks much,
          Nick
        • Jim Seymour
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
            On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:06:32 +0200
            Nikolaos Milas <nmilas@...> wrote:

            > On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:
            >
            > > rel-1.1.4 20120201
            >
            > Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

            You're welcome.

            [snip]

            > Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from
            > particular origins?

            Not built in to Pflogsumm.

            [snip]

            > Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to
            > display stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than
            > for particular hosts?

            There's a function in there that makes a crude attempt to isolate the
            domain or sub-domain from the hostname. It's taken from whatever the
            logfile gives me, which, in turn, is dependent upon whatever the
            reverse lookup returns.