Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

  • James Seymour
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      I *just* realized that, in previous release announcements, I hadn't
      been writing about where to get it from. Doh!

      Here you go:

      http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
    • James Seymour
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:00:39 -0500
        James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

        > Pflogsumm version 1.1.3 has been released. This is a Beta release.
        [snip]

        *sigh* s/1.1.3/1.1.4/

        The Subject: is correct.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          James Seymour:
          > I know there's some stuff that's not in there that some of you have
          > been requesting, but I had to get this one out the door because...
          > well, it *has* been two years, and the defaults in Postfix 2.9 will
          > break Pflogsumm 1.1.3 and earlier.

          Thanks, Jim.

          Wietse
        • James Seymour
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
            Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > Thanks, Jim.

            You're welcome, Wietse. And thank *you* for Postfix.

            Regards,
            Jim
            filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
          • DN Singh
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
              On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM, James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:
              On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
              Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

              [snip]

              > Thanks, Jim.

              You're welcome, Wietse.  And thank *you* for Postfix.

              Regards,
              Jim
              filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

              Thanks both of you for these wonderful tools... :)
            • Nikolaos Milas
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:

                > rel-1.1.4 20120201

                Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

                I have upgraded to v1.1.4 and it runs smoothly on our CentOS 5.7.

                A question on pflogsumm:

                Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from particular
                origins?

                For example, here is an excerpt from a report:

                Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
                ---------------------------------------
                connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
                ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- -----------------
                2465 4:28:50 7s 296s admin.example.com
                104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

                As you can see, most connections come from admin.example.com, where our
                mail gateway server (gw.admin.example.com) lies; that server is the
                origin of most of the connections (almost all).

                The problem is that if the traffic from the gateway server is not
                reported separately, stats for the whole of admin.example.com are in a
                way deceptive.

                (Note: number of connections is low, since our mail gateway has already
                filtered all unwanted connections.)

                So, is there a way to specify that we want separate stats e.g. for
                gw.admin.example.com? Then, the report would become something like:

                Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
                ---------------------------------------
                connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
                ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------------
                2365 4:24:30 7s 296s gw.admin.example.com
                100 0:04:50 4s 8s admin.example.com
                104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

                Note: In this report, admin.example.com would/should not include stats
                for gw.admin.example.com, for which we want separate stats.

                Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to display
                stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than for
                particular hosts?

                Thanks much,
                Nick
              • Jim Seymour
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                  On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:06:32 +0200
                  Nikolaos Milas <nmilas@...> wrote:

                  > On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:
                  >
                  > > rel-1.1.4 20120201
                  >
                  > Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

                  You're welcome.

                  [snip]

                  > Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from
                  > particular origins?

                  Not built in to Pflogsumm.

                  [snip]

                  > Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to
                  > display stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than
                  > for particular hosts?

                  There's a function in there that makes a crude attempt to isolate the
                  domain or sub-domain from the hostname. It's taken from whatever the
                  logfile gives me, which, in turn, is dependent upon whatever the
                  reverse lookup returns.