Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

  • James Seymour
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      Pflogsumm version 1.1.3 has been released. This is a Beta release.

      From the ChangeLog:

      rel-1.1.4 20120201

      Modified for compatibility with -o syslog_name=blurfl/submission
      and -o syslog_name=blurfl/smtps set in master.cf. (These are the
      defaults in Postfix 2.9 and beyond.)

      N.B.: This doesn't mean you'll get submission and
      smtps broken-out separately from plain old smtp,
      it simply means the presence of the new sub-strings
      won't break Pflogsumm.

      Changed "_"s (underscores) in option switches to "-"s (dashes).
      (Underscores are still accepted.) Thanks and a tip o' the hat
      to David Landgren (david-at-landgren-dot-net) for the suggestion.

      Removed switches deprecated in 1.1.3 from the docs.

      Improved ISO timestamp parsing to account for optional fractional
      seconds part. (This is thrown-away by Pflogsumm.)

      Minor updates to the FAQ.

      Replaced "depreciated" with "deprecated" throughout. Thanks and
      a tip o' the hat to Rob Arista for the heads-up.

      Fixed bug in host normalization function that was broken for
      IPv4 addresses.

      I know there's some stuff that's not in there that some of you have
      been requesting, but I had to get this one out the door because...
      well, it *has* been two years, and the defaults in Postfix 2.9 will
      break Pflogsumm 1.1.3 and earlier.

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
    • James Seymour
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
        I *just* realized that, in previous release announcements, I hadn't
        been writing about where to get it from. Doh!

        Here you go:

        http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:00:39 -0500
          James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:

          > Pflogsumm version 1.1.3 has been released. This is a Beta release.
          [snip]

          *sigh* s/1.1.3/1.1.4/

          The Subject: is correct.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            James Seymour:
            > I know there's some stuff that's not in there that some of you have
            > been requesting, but I had to get this one out the door because...
            > well, it *has* been two years, and the defaults in Postfix 2.9 will
            > break Pflogsumm 1.1.3 and earlier.

            Thanks, Jim.

            Wietse
          • James Seymour
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
              On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
              Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

              [snip]

              > Thanks, Jim.

              You're welcome, Wietse. And thank *you* for Postfix.

              Regards,
              Jim
              filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is
            • DN Singh
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM, James Seymour <jseymour@...> wrote:
                On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
                Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                [snip]

                > Thanks, Jim.

                You're welcome, Wietse.  And thank *you* for Postfix.

                Regards,
                Jim
                filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

                Thanks both of you for these wonderful tools... :)
              • Nikolaos Milas
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                  On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:

                  > rel-1.1.4 20120201

                  Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

                  I have upgraded to v1.1.4 and it runs smoothly on our CentOS 5.7.

                  A question on pflogsumm:

                  Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from particular
                  origins?

                  For example, here is an excerpt from a report:

                  Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
                  ---------------------------------------
                  connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
                  ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- -----------------
                  2465 4:28:50 7s 296s admin.example.com
                  104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

                  As you can see, most connections come from admin.example.com, where our
                  mail gateway server (gw.admin.example.com) lies; that server is the
                  origin of most of the connections (almost all).

                  The problem is that if the traffic from the gateway server is not
                  reported separately, stats for the whole of admin.example.com are in a
                  way deceptive.

                  (Note: number of connections is low, since our mail gateway has already
                  filtered all unwanted connections.)

                  So, is there a way to specify that we want separate stats e.g. for
                  gw.admin.example.com? Then, the report would become something like:

                  Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
                  ---------------------------------------
                  connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
                  ----------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------------
                  2365 4:24:30 7s 296s gw.admin.example.com
                  100 0:04:50 4s 8s admin.example.com
                  104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

                  Note: In this report, admin.example.com would/should not include stats
                  for gw.admin.example.com, for which we want separate stats.

                  Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to display
                  stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than for
                  particular hosts?

                  Thanks much,
                  Nick
                • Jim Seymour
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
                    On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:06:32 +0200
                    Nikolaos Milas <nmilas@...> wrote:

                    > On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:
                    >
                    > > rel-1.1.4 20120201
                    >
                    > Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

                    You're welcome.

                    [snip]

                    > Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from
                    > particular origins?

                    Not built in to Pflogsumm.

                    [snip]

                    > Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to
                    > display stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than
                    > for particular hosts?

                    There's a function in there that makes a crude attempt to isolate the
                    domain or sub-domain from the hostname. It's taken from whatever the
                    logfile gives me, which, in turn, is dependent upon whatever the
                    reverse lookup returns.