Re: tracking sent mails in large scale scenario, and push infos into database

  • Stoyan Stoyanov
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      On Feb 1, 2012, at 3:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

      > Stoyan Stoyanov:
      >> Hi List,
      >>
      >> I'm designing some 'mail-sending' platform with a little bit of
      >> specific requirements.
      >> It would be a large mass mailing service (no spam of course) with
      >> almost 150 mails/sec and have to sent mails ~ 14-16 hours per day
      >> with
      >> that intensity.
      >> The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
      >> already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
      >> But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
      >> track full statistics.
      >
      > Submit each message with a unique Message-ID header. This is logged
      > by the cleanup daemon. The format of Message-ID headers is documented
      > in RFC 5322.
      >
      > Postfix delivery agents (and queue manager) log mail delays and
      > other status information.
      >
      > All Postfix daemons including cleanup daemon and delivery agents
      > log the Postfix queue ID. That allows you to connect the unique
      > Message-ID with mail delays and other status information.
      >
      > Wietse

      Thank you Wietse,
      Yes, this is an option that can help.

      Please , if there are some other options that can handle this, advice
      me.

      Stoyan Stoyanov
      Core Systems
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        Stoyan Stoyanov:
        > The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
        > already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
        > But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
        > track full statistics.

        Wietse:
        > Submit each message with a unique Message-ID header. This is logged
        > by the cleanup daemon. The format of Message-ID headers is documented
        > in RFC 5322.
        >
        > Postfix delivery agents (and queue manager) log mail delays and
        > other status information.
        >
        > All Postfix daemons including cleanup daemon and delivery agents
        > log the Postfix queue ID. That allows you to connect the unique
        > Message-ID with mail delays and other status information.

        Stoyan Stoyanov:
        > Please , if there are some other options that can handle this, advice
        > me.

        If you submit mail over SMTP, you can get the Postfix queue ID (queue
        file name) from the SMTP server's "end-of-data" response, avoiding
        the need supply your own unique Message-ID header.

        It you use Postfix 2.9 or later, you can enable long, non-reused,
        queue IDs to simplify logfile analysis. Postfix may reuse an old
        short queue ID after a message is deleted from the queue.