tracking sent mails in large scale scenario, and push infos into database

  • Stoyan Stoyanov
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi List,

      I'm designing some 'mail-sending' platform with a little bit of
      specific requirements.
      It would be a large mass mailing service (no spam of course) with
      almost 150 mails/sec and have to sent mails ~ 14-16 hours per day with
      that intensity.
      The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
      already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
      But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
      track full statistics.
      A fetch mail address and content from a database where every email is
      linked to a unique hash, the purpose of which is to be the unique id
      per unique email.

      So, I need some advices from you people,
      - is there a way to link queued email(queue id, may be) with the
      unique id from the db, so I can track and parse from logs from example.
      - or may be can I assign my ids as queue id for every mail, and that
      will be the unique id for that mail from the database.

      or may be I loose something major that can do this in a easy(in
      machine perspective) way.

      Of course the performance is very important, because of the intensity
      of the sendings.

      ps.
      I will appreciate every advice from you guys.
      Thank in advance

      Best Regards,

      Stoyan Stoyanov
      Core Systems
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        Stoyan Stoyanov:
        > Hi List,
        >
        > I'm designing some 'mail-sending' platform with a little bit of
        > specific requirements.
        > It would be a large mass mailing service (no spam of course) with
        > almost 150 mails/sec and have to sent mails ~ 14-16 hours per day with
        > that intensity.
        > The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
        > already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
        > But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
        > track full statistics.

        Submit each message with a unique Message-ID header. This is logged
        by the cleanup daemon. The format of Message-ID headers is documented
        in RFC 5322.

        Postfix delivery agents (and queue manager) log mail delays and
        other status information.

        All Postfix daemons including cleanup daemon and delivery agents
        log the Postfix queue ID. That allows you to connect the unique
        Message-ID with mail delays and other status information.

        Wietse
      • Stoyan Stoyanov
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
          On Feb 1, 2012, at 3:24 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > Stoyan Stoyanov:
          >> Hi List,
          >>
          >> I'm designing some 'mail-sending' platform with a little bit of
          >> specific requirements.
          >> It would be a large mass mailing service (no spam of course) with
          >> almost 150 mails/sec and have to sent mails ~ 14-16 hours per day
          >> with
          >> that intensity.
          >> The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
          >> already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
          >> But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
          >> track full statistics.
          >
          > Submit each message with a unique Message-ID header. This is logged
          > by the cleanup daemon. The format of Message-ID headers is documented
          > in RFC 5322.
          >
          > Postfix delivery agents (and queue manager) log mail delays and
          > other status information.
          >
          > All Postfix daemons including cleanup daemon and delivery agents
          > log the Postfix queue ID. That allows you to connect the unique
          > Message-ID with mail delays and other status information.
          >
          > Wietse

          Thank you Wietse,
          Yes, this is an option that can help.

          Please , if there are some other options that can handle this, advice
          me.

          Stoyan Stoyanov
          Core Systems
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
            Stoyan Stoyanov:
            > The exact fetching, queueing, sending is not my worries, I mean I
            > already know how to do it. (with postfix off course:) )
            > But the hard part for me is that , for every one email I have to
            > track full statistics.

            Wietse:
            > Submit each message with a unique Message-ID header. This is logged
            > by the cleanup daemon. The format of Message-ID headers is documented
            > in RFC 5322.
            >
            > Postfix delivery agents (and queue manager) log mail delays and
            > other status information.
            >
            > All Postfix daemons including cleanup daemon and delivery agents
            > log the Postfix queue ID. That allows you to connect the unique
            > Message-ID with mail delays and other status information.

            Stoyan Stoyanov:
            > Please , if there are some other options that can handle this, advice
            > me.

            If you submit mail over SMTP, you can get the Postfix queue ID (queue
            file name) from the SMTP server's "end-of-data" response, avoiding
            the need supply your own unique Message-ID header.

            It you use Postfix 2.9 or later, you can enable long, non-reused,
            queue IDs to simplify logfile analysis. Postfix may reuse an old
            short queue ID after a message is deleted from the queue.