Re:

  • Curtis Maurand
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2012
      On 1/27/2012 6:00 AM, nick wrote:
      > Il 27/01/2012 11.47, Nickalf ha scritto:
      >> Hi Fellow Postfixers, ( belated H a P p Y N e W Y e A r )
      >>
      >> Looking to find out the pros and cons of
      >> using MySQL based Postfix over the current basic (text based)
      >> setup I have. Is it more secure? must be faster - no?
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >> Nick. . .
      > A few things I've noticed..
      >
      > 1. Nowhere near as many reloads needed, you can add domains, change
      > what they are (local, transport, etc), add and remove users, all from
      > a browser, instead of from the command line. You don't need to
      > postmap, or postfix reload very often at all.
      >
      > 2. Speedwise, I think it's about the same, in theory reading from text
      > files is quicker, but mysql is very quick with selects, and I've never
      > noticed any difference. Being able to pass a question to mysql (does
      > user don@... exist here) might be faster than looking through a
      > big list in memory (or a text file), but I think Wietse would be able
      > to say with much more confidence.
      >
      > 3. Makes backups easier, mysqldump occasionally, it's a lot easier
      > than dealing with PAM and shadow files (if your users are local).
      >
      > 4. It's easy to administer users, password, vacations, and a lot of it
      > can be delegated to the users themselves..
      >
      > I'm sure there are other reasons, but this is my experience.

      I went one step further and I use dbmail (http://www.dbmail.org) which
      also stores the mail in a mysql database via lmtp. dbmail also provides
      an imap, pop3 and sieve server Many of my maps are mysql based. My
      users can manage sieve rules through their webmail. Makes doing the
      nightly backup a snap. restoring a single mailbox can be done by
      restoring the mailbox to a staging server and then running imapcopy.