Multiple Instances inheriting default instance settings

  • David DeFranco
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
      I read through the "Multi Instance ReadMe" and didn't see an answer for my question so I thought I'd just ask.

      When I specify a configuration in the default instance of Postfix that setting seems to be inherited by the other instances.

      For example: I set message_size_limit on the default instance and I didn't specify a message_size_limit on an additional instance. When I check postconf on the non-default instance I can see that the message_size_limit is set to the value of the default instance.

      I think this is great.  I love being able to set things like message_size_limit once instead of per instance.

      So is this kind of configuration recommended? Or is it better to specify all settings in each instance?

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
        David DeFranco:
        > I read through the "Multi Instance ReadMe" and didn't see an answer for my
        > question so I thought I'd just ask.
        >
        > When I specify a configuration in the default instance of Postfix that
        > setting seems to be inherited by the other instances.

        Where does Postfix documentation promise parameter inheritance?

        > For example: I set message_size_limit on the default instance and I didn't
        > specify a message_size_limit on an additional instance. When I check
        > postconf on the non-default instance I can see that the message_size_limit
        > is set to the value of the default instance.

        I suspect that this is due to pilot error (somehow you did not
        tell the postconf command to look in the right main.cf file).

        Wietse

        > I think this is great. I love being able to set things like
        > message_size_limit once instead of per instance.
        >
        > So is this kind of configuration recommended? Or is it better to specify
        > all settings in each instance?
        >

        > Thanks
      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
          On 2012-01-03 23:16, David DeFranco wrote:
          > I read through the "Multi Instance ReadMe" and didn't see an answer
          > for my question so I thought I'd just ask.
          >
          > When I specify a configuration in the default instance of Postfix that
          > setting seems to be inherited by the other instances.

          I think you're confusing "the settings I made" with "the built-in
          postfix defaults".

          --
          J.
        • David DeFranco
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012
            I didn't see it in the documentation, that's why I asked.

            I double checked my execution of the postconf command.  I ran postconf with the -c option and I also ran postconf with postmulti both returned the same results.

            Of course, now I can't reproduce what I observed before.

            I realize now that I hadn't disabled cfengine when I did my testing earlier and I bet my main.cf was fixed in between my edits.  I should know better.

            Thanks for the quick response