Where's ORIGINAL_RECIPIENT?

  • Sabahattin Gucukoglu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012
      I could sure use it!

      TMDA when generating challenge messages sends a 'From:' based on the $RECIPIENT variable. Unfortunately, my primary addresses are all aliases, where I'd like those to be canonical, and $RECIPIENT is post-expansion. With the documented ORIGINAL_RECIPIENT to hand, this isn't a big deal until TMDA gets fixed - write a quick wrapper script that calls TMDA with $RECIPIENT set equal to $ORIGINAL_RECIPIENT. However, it isn't set, even where the destination address of the email and the expanded address are clearly different.

      There's another thought, but I don't know which is safest. Because the aliases are all constant addresses after expansion in the 'From:' headers, and don't contain any extension characters, couldn't I put it into canonical(5) maps? There'd be no interference from SMTP server or clients, and I could always restrict it to just sender header (messages go out with <> envelope). The only question then is: how do I prevent mail arriving with the aliases expanded over SMTP from remote clients from themselves getting rewritten?

      Or, I could play with the recipient address of mail inbound. Which does cleanup prioritise, alias expansion or canonical maps? I could undo the $RECIPIENT expansion for the benefit of TMDA for just those aliases using it.

      Cheers,
      Sabahattin
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2012
        On Tuesday 03 January 2012 08:49:30 Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
        > I could sure use it!
        >
        > TMDA when generating challenge messages sends a 'From:' based on

        TMDA is challenge/response, which basically means: to fight your own
        spam, you spam innocent victims. As much as I dislike spam, I would
        never consider such antisocial "solutions" which actually contribute
        to the larger problem of spam and email usability.

        http://tardigrade.net/challengeresponse.html among other links can
        tell you why challenge-response is a bad idea.