Re: Internal+external mailrelay

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
      * Michael Maymann <michael@...>:
      > Hi Ralf,
      >
      > Thanks - I now have...
      > ---
      > /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      > # transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
      > relayhost = [our_isp_mailrelay]
      >
      > /etc/postfix/transport:
      > #<our_own_domain.com> smtp:<our_external_hosted_mailserver>
      > #<servicepartner1> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > #<servicepartner2> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > #<servicepartner3> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > #<servicepartner4> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > #<servicepartner5> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > ---
      > When i put this to production, my config should be like this, right:
      > ---
      > main.cf
      > #relayhost = [our_isp_mailrelay]
      >
      > /etc/postfix/transport:
      > <our_own_domain.com> smtp:<our_external_hosted_mailserver>
      > <servicepartner1> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > <servicepartner2> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > <servicepartner3> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > <servicepartner4> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > <servicepartner5> relay:<our_isp_mailrelay>
      > ---
      >
      > All our mail are going through to our_isp_mailrelay today, so I no longer
      > need the "relayhost = [our_isp_mailrelay]" in main.cf when I have
      > configured transport_maps - or how does this work ?

      That looks OK.
      You can keep the relayhost line if you like; stuff found in
      transport_maps takes precedence anyway.

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt
      Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
        Hi Ralf,

        Thanks again :-) !,

        If I keep relayhost there, it will still be possible to send mails to others than my "whitelisted" transport_maps, or will transport_maps make relayhost irrelevant (not working / commented out) ?

        I guess my
        <our_own_domain.com> smtp:<our_external_hosted_mailserver>
        should also be:
        <our_own_domain.com> relay:<our_external_hosted_mailserver>
        as my postfix server is not doing the mailservice for this domain, but our_external_hosted_mailserver is, so it should be relay here also right ?

        Thanks in advance :-) !
        ~maymann

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2012
          * Michael Maymann <michael@...>:
          > Hi Ralf,
          >
          > Thanks again :-) !,
          >
          > If I keep relayhost there, it will still be possible to send mails to
          > others than my "whitelisted" transport_maps,

          yes

          > or will transport_maps make relayhost irrelevant (not working /
          > commented out) ?

          no.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2012
            Hi Ralf,

            one additional question.
            I figured that our printers perhaps should be allowed to send mails to anyone - hence I need to specifically relay mail for these to any domain.
            This mean I have to configure the following rules in postfix:
            1. All mail to our_own_domain are send to our_external_hosted_mailserver (done)
            2. All mail from our printers to external domains are send to our_isp_mailrelay
            3. All mail from everything but our printers to "whitelisted" external domains are send to our_isp_mailrelay (done ?)
            4. All other mail is bounced to bounce@our_own_domain.com

            Can you help with what I need to configure to get this working as well...:-) !

            * Michael Maymann <michael@...>:
            > Hi Ralf,
            >
            > Thanks again :-) !,
            >
            > If I keep relayhost there, it will still be possible to send mails to
            > others than my "whitelisted" transport_maps,

            yes

            > or will transport_maps make relayhost irrelevant (not working /
            > commented out) ?

            no.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2012
              Hi list,

              please, anyone who can help me with this - would like to implement next week if possible...?

              Thanks in advance :-) !
              ~maymann

              * Michael Maymann <michael@...>:
              > Hi Ralf,
              >
              > Thanks again :-) !,
              >
              > If I keep relayhost there, it will still be possible to send mails to
              > others than my "whitelisted" transport_maps,

              yes

              > or will transport_maps make relayhost irrelevant (not working /
              > commented out) ?

              no.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012

                * Michael Maymann <michael@...>:
                > Hi Ralf,
                >
                > Thanks again :-) !,
                >
                > If I keep relayhost there, it will still be possible to send mails to
                > others than my "whitelisted" transport_maps,

                yes

                > or will transport_maps make relayhost irrelevant (not working /
                > commented out) ?

                no.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                  On 1/10/2012 3:02 PM, Michael Maymann wrote:
                  > Please, anyone who can help me with this...:-) !
                  >
                  > ~maymann

                  I don't think anyone quite knows what you're asking.

                  Please explain your goals and current config as described here:

                • Michael Maymann
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                    Hi Noel,

                    Thanks for you kind reply, and sorry for not being informative enough
                    .
                    I would like to configure the following rules in postfix:
                    1. All mail to our_own_domain are send to our_external_hosted_mailserver (Ralf already helped me with this...)
                    2. All mail from our printers to external domains are send to our_isp_mailrelay
                    3. All mail from everything but our printers to "whitelisted" external domains are send to our_isp_mailrelay (Ralf already helped me with this, but does this need to change...?)
                    4. All other mail is bounced to bounce@our_own_domain.com

                    As I'm pretty new to Postfix, can you point out the variables/configfiles that I need to edit to achieve this - or perhaps even give config example...:-) !

                    Thanks in advance :-) !
                    ~maymann

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                      Michael Maymann:
                      > Hi Noel,
                      >
                      > Thanks for you kind reply, and sorry for not being informative enough
                      > .
                      > I would like to configure the following rules in postfix:
                      > 1. All mail to our_own_domain are send to our_external_hosted_mailserver
                      > (Ralf already helped me with this...)
                      > 2. All mail from our printers to external domains are send to
                      > our_isp_mailrelay
                      > 3. All mail from everything but our printers to "whitelisted" external
                      > domains are send to our_isp_mailrelay (Ralf already helped me with this,
                      > but does this need to change...?)

                      Printers can send mail to all destinations, but users cannot?

                      What problem are you trying to solve by doing that? Describe
                      the problem, instead of your solution above.

                      Wietse

                      > 4. All other mail is bounced to bounce@our_own_domain.com
                      >
                      > As I'm pretty new to Postfix, can you point out the variables/configfiles
                      > that I need to edit to achieve this - or perhaps even give config
                      > example...:-) !
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance :-) !
                      > ~maymann
                      >
                      > 2012/1/10 Noel Jones <njones@...>
                      >
                      > > On 1/10/2012 3:02 PM, Michael Maymann wrote:
                      > > > Please, anyone who can help me with this...:-) !
                      > > >
                      > > > ~maymann
                      > >

                      > > I don't think anyone quite knows what you're asking.
                      > >
                      > > Please explain your goals and current config as described here:
                      > > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
                      > >

                      > > -- Noel Jones

                    • Michael Maymann
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                        Hi Wietse,

                        thanks for your kind reply...:-) !
                        You're right...

                        - We currently have a setup where all mail from R&D internal->external is send to my mailrelay in a specific site, as our_isp_relay only allows us to send from there to their mailrelay - no restrictions (this is not our primary mail).
                        - Our_isp_relay has already blacklisted my mailrelay twice, caused by reputation based filtering - no spamming occurred though (all known domains at-least...), but the number of mails was rather high...
                        - We are about to send monitoring alert through my mailrelay pretty soon, and therefore I would like to avoid spam filtering if possible - but saw domain-whitelisting as a solution to limit damages to a minimum if a host goes hostile...
                        - Our Printers are also on the R&D network and they need scan->email functionality, so I still need to allow printers to send to anyone.
                        - 99.96% of mail going through my mailrelay goes to our own official mailboxes, so my thinking was to route all this directly to our official mailserver and get my mailrelay whitelisted there (so no spamfiltering is done on mails from this IP)...

                        Thanks in advance :-) !
                        ~maymann

                        Michael Maymann:

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                          Michael Maymann:
                          > Hi Wietse,
                          >
                          > thanks for your kind reply...:-) !
                          > You're right...
                          >
                          > - We currently have a setup where all mail from R&D internal->external is
                          > send to my mailrelay in a specific site, as our_isp_relay only allows us to
                          > send from there to their mailrelay - no restrictions (this is not our
                          > primary mail).
                          > - Our_isp_relay has already blacklisted my mailrelay twice, caused by
                          > reputation based filtering - no spamming occurred though (all known domains
                          > at-least...), but the number of mails was rather high...

                          You need to rate-limit the clients. Use policyd or postfwd or
                          something with similar capabilities.

                          > - We are about to send monitoring alert through my mailrelay pretty soon,
                          > and therefore I would like to avoid spam filtering if possible - but saw
                          > domain-whitelisting as a solution to limit damages to a minimum if a host
                          > goes hostile...

                          Rate limit the clients, and you won't have to keep updating whitelists.

                          If you have PC-class systems on the network, having anti-spam/virus on the
                          mail server would be a good idea because some box will get infected.

                          > - Our Printers are also on the R&D network and they need scan->email
                          > functionality, so I still need to allow printers to send to anyone.

                          You need to exclude the printers from the rate limit.

                          Wietse
                          > - 99.96% of mail going through my mailrelay goes to our own official
                          > mailboxes, so my thinking was to route all this directly to our official
                          > mailserver and get my mailrelay whitelisted there (so no spamfiltering is
                          > done on mails from this IP)...
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance :-) !
                          > ~maymann
                        • Michael Maymann
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 10, 2012
                            Hi Wietse,

                            Thanks again for your nice/quick reply...
                            2012/1/10 Wietse Venema <wietse@...>
                            Michael Maymann:
                            > Hi Wietse,
                            >
                            > thanks for your kind reply...:-) !
                            > You're right...
                            >
                            > - We currently have a setup where all mail from R&D internal->external is
                            > send to my mailrelay in a specific site, as our_isp_relay only allows us to
                            > send from there to their mailrelay - no restrictions (this is not our
                            > primary mail).
                            > - Our_isp_relay has already blacklisted my mailrelay twice, caused by
                            > reputation based filtering - no spamming occurred though (all known domains
                            > at-least...), but the number of mails was rather high...

                            You need to rate-limit the clients. Use policyd or postfwd or
                            something with similar capabilities.

                            All our IP's in "mynetworks" should be allowed to send mails without filtering at this stage. But this looks like a good thing to implement later on though... (at this stage, I would like to make a quick fix to the very open solution we have now)...:-)

                            > - We are about to send monitoring alert through my mailrelay pretty soon,
                            > and therefore I would like to avoid spam filtering if possible - but saw
                            > domain-whitelisting as a solution to limit damages to a minimum if a host
                            > goes hostile...

                            Rate limit the clients, and you won't have to keep updating whitelists.

                            It is only to our own domain and a handfull of external vendors (systems sending support-alerts to vendors directly). This will not be a problem in my setup.

                            If you have PC-class systems on the network, having anti-spam/virus on the
                            mail server would be a good idea because some box will get infected.

                            PC-vlans are not in my "mynetworks", so DC vlans and some specific LAB-equipment IP's are allowed to send...
                            I would really like to avoid anti-spam/virus filtering (at-least in this stage), as this can potentially filter my monitoring alerts, etc.

                            > - Our Printers are also on the R&D network and they need scan->email
                            > functionality, so I still need to allow printers to send to anyone.

                            You need to exclude the printers from the rate limit.

                            This is my current configuration:

                            main.cf:
                            ---
                            queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
                            command_directory = /usr/sbin
                            daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
                            mail_owner = postfix
                            mydomain = <MYDOMAIN>
                            myorigin = $mydomain
                            inet_interfaces = all
                            mydestination = localhost, localhost.localdomain, $mydomain, dfm.test.com
                            local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
                            unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
                            mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, <MYVLAN1>, <MYVLAN2>, etc
                            relay_domains = $mydestination
                            relayhost = [<MYISP>] # this will be commented out when we effectuate the new config
                            # transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport # this will be commented in when we effectuate the new config
                            alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
                            alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
                            debug_peer_level = 2
                            debugger_command =
                                     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
                                     xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
                            mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
                            setgid_group = postdrop
                            html_directory = no
                            manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
                            readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
                            ---

                            transport (everything will be commented in when we effectuate the new config):
                            ---
                            ## Relay own mail to own server
                            #our_own_domain      relay:<OUR_OFFICIAL_MAILSERVER>
                            ## Relay only mail to known external vendors
                            #<MY_VENDOR1> relay:<OUR_ISP_MAILRELAY>
                            #<MY_VENDOR2> relay:<OUR_ISP_MAILRELAY>
                            #<MY_VENDOR3> relay:<OUR_ISP_MAILRELAY>
                            #<MY_VENDOR4> relay:<OUR_ISP_MAILRELAY>
                            #<MY_VENDOR5> relay:<OUR_ISP_MAILRELAY>
                            ---

                            1. How can I exclude my printers from the "transport" whitelisting - can you give example in configfile ?
                            2. How can I send bounced mails to bounce@our_own_domain.com - can you give example in configfile ?

                            Thanks for your nice support - really appreciate it...:-) !

                            ~maymann

                                   Wietse