Redirect all bounces to a particular id

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
      Can I configure my postfix server to send all bounces to a single
      mailbox , instead of the sender of the mail
    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
        On 2012-01-02 7:17 AM, Ram <ram@...> wrote:
        > Can I configure my postfix server to send all bounces to a single
        > mailbox , instead of the sender of the mail

        In 99.9% of cases, doing this would be a very bad idea.

        As you were advised in the welcome message you received when signing up
        for this list, please describe *the problem you are trying to solve*
        (not your preconceived 'solution'), along with full logs of sample
        problem transaction, as well as output of postconf -n.

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles
      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
          On 01/02/2012 01:17 PM, Ram wrote:
          > Can I configure my postfix server to send all bounces to a single
          > mailbox , instead of the sender of the mail

          No.

          --
          J.
        • Otthon Yahoo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
            Hello,

            You can put this lines on main.cf

            notify_classes = resource, software, bounce
            bounce_notice_recipient = bounce@...

            Cheers,

            Otthon Coelho

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
              On Monday, January 02, 2012 at 16:39:47 UTC, otthoncoelho@... confabulated:

              > Hello,

              > You can put this lines on main.cf

              > notify_classes = resource, software, bounce
              > bounce_notice_recipient = bounce@...

              The bounce_notice_recipient would receive a copy of the message
              headers of a message bounce from Postfix. The original sender
              would as well.

              > At 12:59 02/01/2012, Charles Marcus wrote:
              >>On 2012-01-02 7:17 AM, Ram <ram@...> wrote:
              >>>Can I configure my postfix server to send all bounces to a single
              >>>mailbox , instead of the sender of the mail
              >>
              >>In 99.9% of cases, doing this would be a very bad idea.
              >>
              >>As you were advised in the welcome message you received when signing
              >>up for this list, please describe *the problem you are trying to
              >>solve* (not your preconceived 'solution'), along with full logs of
              >>sample problem transaction, as well as output of postconf -n.
            • /dev/rob0
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2012
                On Monday 02 January 2012 10:39:47 Otthon Yahoo wrote:
                > You can put this lines on main.cf
                >
                > notify_classes = resource, software, bounce
                > bounce_notice_recipient = bounce@...

                Wrong, that is not what the OP asked. A bounce *notice* is not the
                bounce itself.

                > At 12:59 02/01/2012, Charles Marcus wrote:
                > >On 2012-01-02 7:17 AM, Ram <ram@...> wrote:
                > >>Can I configure my postfix server to send all bounces to a single
                > >>mailbox , instead of the sender of the mail
                > >
                > >In 99.9% of cases, doing this would be a very bad idea.
                > >
                > >As you were advised in the welcome message you received when
                > >signing up for this list, please describe *the problem you are
                > >trying to solve* (not your preconceived 'solution'), along with

                My guess here is that the problem includes a failure to understand
                distinctions between the envelope sender, which in all cases would
                receive the bounce, and the From: header.

                A bulk sender needs the envelope sender to be a bounce-handling
                address. Typically they might use a different address in the From:
                header, which their subscribers (or victims, as the case may be) see
                in their MUA.