Re: Problem with smtp client bind address

  • Jim Seymour
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
      On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:46:00 -0500 (EST)
      Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

      > James Seymour:
      > > On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 16:27:07 -0500 (EST)
      > > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      > > [snip]
      > > > I suggest that you use different smtp_bind_address settings in
      > > > master.cf for the (default) smtp transport and for the (inbound)
      > > > relay transport.
      > >
      > > This server is, amongst other things, a mail gateway. It accepts
      > > incoming on both interfaces, and sends on both.
      >
      > It sends outbound mail on both interfaces?
      >
      > It sends inbound mail on both interfaces?

      Bah! No. Incoming goes out the inside interface and outgoing out the
      outside interface :p. Sorry, I was in serious burnout mode after
      having been hacking on the new box since about 07:30.

      > I would expect that inbound and outbound use different interfaces,
      > therefore you can use different delivery agents.

      And right you'd be.

      > For the default smtp transport, use -o
      > smtp_bind_address=external-address
      >
      > Use a transport map to force inbound mail to use the "relay"
      > transport, and that one will automagically use the right source IP
      > address because there is only one to choose from.

      Done! Worked like a charm, Wietse. Thanks *very* much for your help.

      I'd already had all the transport entries. (Holdover from when our
      mail routing was significantly more complicated.) I simply had to
      replace the "smtp:"s with "relay:"s, in addition to the master.cf
      change, and it was done.

      Great :)

      Regards,
      Jim
      filtering. If you reply to this email and your email is