Re: Postfix Hold queue

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
      On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:56:34AM +0100, Roland de Lepper wrote:

      > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
      > Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu
      > 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
      >
      > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make a
      > full dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the meantime, all
      > mail coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the HOLD queue.
      > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
      > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old mailserver to
      > the new mailserver, then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on
      > the new mailserver.

      Generally, you should not copy queue files, just deploy the new
      server in parallel, then update DNS names or MX records and configure
      the old server (relayhost=) to send all email to the new. Make sure
      the new server will accept the mail first of course.

      The mail queue of the old server will drain in minutes, so if there
      are no clients that still send to a stale IP address, you can then
      shut it down.

      As for the HOLD queue, you release mail from there with "postsuper -H"
      not "postsuper -r". When moving queue files both Postfix stacks must
      be down. It is in fact less disruptive to introduce the new server
      in parallel, and reconfigure the old.

    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
        On 2011-12-01 10:56, Roland de Lepper wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
        > The Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in
        > Ubuntu 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
        >
        > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make
        > a full dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the
        > meantime, all mail coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the
        > HOLD queue.

        Why ? Just disable the qmgr(8) and no delivery attempts will be made.

        Set up your new mailserver to accept all mail from the old one and
        forward the existing mail to the new mailserver.

        > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
        > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old
        > mailserver to the new mailserver,

        NO. Copying queue files from one postfix installation to another is not
        supported.

        > then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on the new mailserver.

        The mail has to be re-queued on the old mailserver.

        > Is this even possible?

        Not the way you stated it, not without significant breakage.oland

        Just FYI, if these programs sending mail cannot delay it, the messages
        will still be queued and not delivered during the migration.
        Why not just let them fail ?

        --
        J.