Question re: not getting mail from specific domain

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hello,

      We are unable to receive mail from an automated system (Intuits Payroll
      Services), and have been unable to determine why.

      We use an outsourced anti-spam service (webroot), so I have to rely on
      what they tell me about their logs.

      One thing I noticed - when I do an nslookup on
      payrollservices.intuit.com, it comes back as 'No answer' - but mxtoolbox
      does provide a response...

      Can anyone see anything wrong with this domain that could cause our
      antispam service to refuse the connection at some low level that
      wouldn't get logged?

      Tia,

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
        On 12/1/2011 12:26 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > We are unable to receive mail from an automated system (Intuits
        > Payroll Services), and have been unable to determine why.
        >
        > We use an outsourced anti-spam service (webroot), so I have to rely
        > on what they tell me about their logs.
        >
        > One thing I noticed - when I do an nslookup on
        > payrollservices.intuit.com, it comes back as 'No answer' - but
        > mxtoolbox does provide a response...
        >
        > Can anyone see anything wrong with this domain that could cause our
        > antispam service to refuse the connection at some low level that
        > wouldn't get logged?
        >
        > Tia,

        Since you've outsourced the filtering, you're at the mercy of
        whatever assistance webroot and the sender can provide.

        The NS lookup works for me. At any rate, the lack of an NS record
        should not be a problem (assuming the parent domain NS works).

        payrollservices.intuit.com mail is handled by 10
        reply-mx.s4.exacttarget.com.
        payrollservices.intuit.com descriptive text "spf2.0/pra
        include:cust-senderid.exacttarget.com -all"
        payrollservices.intuit.com descriptive text "v=spf1
        include:cust-spf.exacttarget.com -all"
        payrollservices.intuit.com name server ns2.exacttarget.com.
        payrollservices.intuit.com name server ns1.exacttarget.com.

        It appears intuit payroll services use exacttarget.com for their
        mail services. Exacttarget is a legit bulk mailer, but some folks
        might block exacttarget for perceived spamming. Something else to
        look into anyway.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Charles Marcus
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
          On 2011-12-01 1:40 PM, Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:
          > It appears intuit payroll services use exacttarget.com for their
          > mail services. Exacttarget is a legit bulk mailer, but some folks
          > might block exacttarget for perceived spamming. Something else to
          > look into anyway.

          Ok, at leats thats something...

          Thanks,

          --