Re: reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname RFC basis?

  • Rod Dorman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      On Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:09:42, Blake Hudson wrote:
      > I was under the impression that hosts using SMTP were required to have a
      > valid reverse DNS entry. The reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname
      > restriction would then enforce this requirement. However, I can't find a
      > basis for this in RFC 821, 2821, or 5321. The closest I can find is
      > helo/ehlo requirements. Is there, in fact, any requirement for sending
      > hosts to have a valid rDNS entry?

      RFC 1912 Common DNS Errors
      2.1 Inconsistent, Missing, or Bad Data
      Make sure your PTR and A records match. For every IP address,
      there should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.

      --
      rodd@... "The avalanche has already started, it is too
      Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh