Re: reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname RFC basis?

  • Michael Weissenbacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi Blake!
      Am 2011-12-01 18:09, schrieb Blake Hudson:
      > I was under the impression that hosts using SMTP were required to have a
      > valid reverse DNS entry. The reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname
      > restriction would then enforce this requirement. However, I can't find a
      > basis for this in RFC 821, 2821, or 5321. The closest I can find is
      > helo/ehlo requirements. Is there, in fact, any requirement for sending
      > hosts to have a valid rDNS entry?
      To my best knowledge, no. It's just common practice.

      cheers,
      Michael
    • Rod Dorman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
        On Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:09:42, Blake Hudson wrote:
        > I was under the impression that hosts using SMTP were required to have a
        > valid reverse DNS entry. The reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname
        > restriction would then enforce this requirement. However, I can't find a
        > basis for this in RFC 821, 2821, or 5321. The closest I can find is
        > helo/ehlo requirements. Is there, in fact, any requirement for sending
        > hosts to have a valid rDNS entry?

        RFC 1912 Common DNS Errors
        2.1 Inconsistent, Missing, or Bad Data
        Make sure your PTR and A records match. For every IP address,
        there should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.

        --
        rodd@... "The avalanche has already started, it is too
        Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh