Re: MUA/Smtp client/script to send mails via a Postfix relay server

  • Roger Goh
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
      >> Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.
      > ...why ?
      > Are you using sendmail, or are you using postfix ?

      I need to send mails out from an RHES4.x box (which does
      not have Postfix installed & sendmail is not supposed to be
      started as it's hardened for security reason). This box is on
      the same subnet as a Postfix server. So I needed a way to
      route mails from this RHES4.x box via that Postfix server.

      My first attempt in using an MUA (a Perl script) from
      http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/ gave no joy.

      Now, someone has given me another MUA solution which
      doesn't require me to install any RPM package:
      Download & compile the tool below
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/msmtp/files/msmtp/1.4.26/
      to get the executable binary on the RHES4.x box & on this
      box, create .msmtprc file in the home directory of the user
      that needs to send email (in RHES4.x box) that has the lines:

      account postfix
      host smtp.mypostfix_domain.com
      from joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com

      auth on
      user joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
      password secret

      Then I can use the following Shell script (with the compiled
      msmtp to send out mails from the RHES4.x box:
      { echo -e 'To:someone@...\nMIME-Version: 1.0
      (mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
      application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
      cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64 } | msmtp --account=postfix

      joe_smith will be a dummy email account on the postfix
      so the password 'secret' will not be so much of a security
      issue.

      Roger
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
        On 2011-12-01 14:53, Roger Goh wrote:
        >>> Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.
        >> ...why ?
        >> Are you using sendmail, or are you using postfix ?
        > I need to send mails out from an RHES4.x box (which does
        > not have Postfix installed& sendmail is not supposed to be
        > started as it's hardened for security reason). This box is on
        > the same subnet as a Postfix server. So I needed a way to
        > route mails from this RHES4.x box via that Postfix server.
        >
        > My first attempt in using an MUA (a Perl script) from
        > http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/ gave no joy.
        >
        > Now, someone has given me another MUA solution which
        > doesn't require me to install any RPM package:
        > Download& compile the tool below
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/msmtp/files/msmtp/1.4.26/
        > to get the executable binary on the RHES4.x box& on this
        > box, create .msmtprc file in the home directory of the user
        > that needs to send email (in RHES4.x box) that has the lines:
        >
        > account postfix
        > host smtp.mypostfix_domain.com
        > from joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
        >
        > auth on
        > user joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
        > password secret
        >

        > Then I can use the following Shell script (with the compiled
        > msmtp to send out mails from the RHES4.x box:
        > { echo -e 'To:someone@...\nMIME-Version: 1.0
        > (mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
        > application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
        > cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64 } | msmtp --account=postfix
        >
        > joe_smith will be a dummy email account on the postfix
        > so the password 'secret' will not be so much of a security
        > issue.
        >

        > Roger

        So... what, exactly, is not working ?

        --