Re: Dead Destination configuration

    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 1, 2011
      DN Singh:
      > I will get more clear with an example:
      >
      > yahoo.com has different rejection codes, common of which is TS01. They say,
      > after TS01, you aren't supposed to attempt delivery for 4 hours. But, the

      According to "Yahoo! Postmaster Help Topics", TS01 means:

      * We are seeing unusual traffic from your IP address.

      * Email from your mail server is generating complaints from Yahoo! Mail users.

      I suggest that you address those problems, instead of asking Postfix
      developers to build workarounds.

      Wietse
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 7, 2011
        On 2011-12-06 10:02, DN Singh wrote: Can you please name the topic, so I can search about it? It would be of great help.

        On 2011-12-05 15:36, DN Singh wrote:
        Yes, I tried to figure it out that way, but the numbers aren't constant.

        Have you considered that this is because your submission is not 100% flat ?
        If you submit or retry in bursts (and when they block you for a fixed period of time after denying access, you WILL see clumping) then why expect their rejections to follow a different pattern ?

        As the people with much experience and experimentation on this list suggest, run separate delivery routes - with separate queues - for these slow destinations.
        All this is very well documented in the list archives.

        --
        J.

        There are two solutions you can try: within one instance, or using a separate instance, which will have its own queue.

        Within one instance, you can use a so-called *slow transport* to deliver mail to problematic domains at greatly reduced speeds.

        The basic theory behind this is described in: http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html#rope

        To push mail for example.com to such a slow transport, use a transport_maps entry:

            example.com    smtp:myslowtransport

        Where myslowtransport is a service defined in master.cf.

        The more flexible solution is to set up a second instance of postfix (on an arbitrary internal port, say 127.0.0.1:2525) and push all slow mail to that instance.

        You then have complete control over queue lifetimes, backoff schedules, retry mechanisms, custom errors or deferrals, etc etc etc.

        (Sorry, I couldn't find a mailing list example in the time it took me to write this :)

        --
        J.