Postfix Hold queue

  • Roland de Lepper
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi,

      Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).

      Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make a full dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the meantime, all mail coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the HOLD queue.
      When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old mailserver to the new mailserver, then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on the new mailserver.

      Is this even possible?

      Kind regards,

      Roland
    • Simon Brereton
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
        On 1 December 2011 04:56, Roland de Lepper <roland.de.lepper@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
        > Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu 10.04LTS
        > (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
        >
        > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make a full
        > dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the meantime, all mail
        > coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the HOLD queue.
        > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
        > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old mailserver to
        > the new mailserver, then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on
        > the new mailserver.

        I can't tell you. But why not stop postfix BEFORE you stop the database?

        That way every (legitimate) sending server will hold outgoing mail for
        up to 5 days and you can then copy your DB in peace, move it to the
        new box, set it up, make sure it's working and generally not operate
        under any time pressure (so long as you warn your users there is an
        outage window).

        Simon
      • Simon Deziel
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
          On 12/01/2011 04:56 AM, Roland de Lepper wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
          > Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu
          > 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).

          You might consider enabling the backport repository that provides
          Postfix 2.8.5 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-backports/postfix).

          Simon
        • Roland de Lepper
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
            On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Simon Brereton <simon.brereton@...> wrote:
            On 1 December 2011 04:56, Roland de Lepper <roland.de.lepper@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
            > Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu 10.04LTS
            > (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
            >
            > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make a full
            > dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the meantime, all mail
            > coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the HOLD queue.
            > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
            > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old mailserver to
            > the new mailserver, then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on
            > the new mailserver.

            I can't tell you.  But why not stop postfix BEFORE you stop the database?

            That way every (legitimate) sending server will hold outgoing mail for
            up to 5 days and you can then copy your DB in peace, move it to the
            new box, set it up, make sure it's working and generally not operate
            under any time pressure (so long as you warn your users there is an
            outage window).

            Simon

            The problem is that we have tons op applications mailing to the mailserver and I gues they do not hold the mail 5 days ;-)

            I tested my solution to copy the HOLD queue to the new server, set the permissions to postfix and released the mails in that queue. (postsuper -r ALL).
            This worked, so my question is already answered.

            Thanks anyway.

            Kind regards,

            Roland
          • Robert Schetterer
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
              Am 01.12.2011 16:02, schrieb Simon Brereton:
              > On 1 December 2011 04:56, Roland de Lepper <roland.de.lepper@...> wrote:
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
              >> Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu 10.04LTS
              >> (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).

              use backports

              lucid-backports (mail): High-performance mail transport agent
              2.8.5-2~build0.10.04: amd64 i386

              --
              Best Regards

              MfG Robert Schetterer

              Germany/Munich/Bavaria
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
                On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:56:34AM +0100, Roland de Lepper wrote:

                > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The
                > Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in Ubuntu
                > 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
                >
                > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make a
                > full dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the meantime, all
                > mail coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the HOLD queue.
                > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
                > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old mailserver to
                > the new mailserver, then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on
                > the new mailserver.

                Generally, you should not copy queue files, just deploy the new
                server in parallel, then update DNS names or MX records and configure
                the old server (relayhost=) to send all email to the new. Make sure
                the new server will accept the mail first of course.

                The mail queue of the old server will drain in minutes, so if there
                are no clients that still send to a stale IP address, you can then
                shut it down.

                As for the HOLD queue, you release mail from there with "postsuper -H"
                not "postsuper -r". When moving queue files both Postfix stacks must
                be down. It is in fact less disruptive to introduce the new server
                in parallel, and reconfigure the old.

              • Jeroen Geilman
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2011
                  On 2011-12-01 10:56, Roland de Lepper wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Where're planning to migrate postfix from Suse to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
                  > The Postfix version on Suse has an higher version number than in
                  > Ubuntu 10.04LTS (2.7.2 - 2.7.0).
                  >
                  > Because of the migration we have to shutdown the MySQL server to make
                  > a full dump of it and import is on the new mailserver. In the
                  > meantime, all mail coming to the old-mailserver will be stored in the
                  > HOLD queue.

                  Why ? Just disable the qmgr(8) and no delivery attempts will be made.

                  Set up your new mailserver to accept all mail from the old one and
                  forward the existing mail to the new mailserver.

                  > When the new Mailserver is ready (with the same hostname and
                  > public-ipaddress) I want to copy the HOLD queue from the old
                  > mailserver to the new mailserver,

                  NO. Copying queue files from one postfix installation to another is not
                  supported.

                  > then do a postsuper -r ALL to deliver the messages on the new mailserver.

                  The mail has to be re-queued on the old mailserver.

                  > Is this even possible?

                  Not the way you stated it, not without significant breakage.oland

                  Just FYI, if these programs sending mail cannot delay it, the messages
                  will still be queued and not delivered during the migration.
                  Why not just let them fail ?

                  --
                  J.