MUA/Smtp client/script to send mails via a Postfix relay server

  • Roger Goh
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
      Quite desperate & sorry if this is OT.

      I have a Linux RHES 4.5 box that's on the same subnet as my Postfix
      box. For security reasons, I'm not allowed to ftp/scp/sftp files between
      this box & the Postfix server.

      I have the following Perl script which I wanted to use to mail (& attach
      files) out to the outside but alas the Perl script below gave an error
      that "Mime-Lite module is not available" on this server when I use it:
      http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/

      The tool above has a --host (or --server) option which would have enabled
      me to point to the Postfix server to enable email to be sent out from this
      RHES 4.5 box via the Postfix box.

      It will take weeks for Change Managemt to approve installing Mime-Lite
      module, so I'll need help on the following :

      a) is there an MUA (mailx, mutt, sendmail) that would enable me to
      perform this same function of pointing to the Postfix server & attach
      a file to be mailed out? Kindly provide the full syntax/example.
      If Postfix runs on this RHES 4.6 box, mutt could have done the job

      b) is there another script (that uses say "telnet postfix_IP 25" & EHLO...)
      to do this function. Let me know the url to download it if there is

      TIA
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
        On 11/28/2011 9:40 AM, Roger Goh wrote:
        > a) is there an MUA (mailx, mutt, sendmail) that would enable me to
        > perform this same function of pointing to the Postfix server & attach
        > a file to be mailed out? Kindly provide the full syntax/example.
        > If Postfix runs on this RHES 4.6 box, mutt could have done the job

        Mutt with any MTA -- sendmail, postfix, probably even mini-sendmail
        -- will do the job. And surely postfix can install on that machine.

        Something like (all one line):
        mutt -s "my subject" -a "/path/to/attachment" recipient@...
        < /path/to/message/text

        For details, or if my command doesn't work, man mutt or check on a
        mutt users list.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
          On 2011-11-28 16:40, Roger Goh wrote:
          > Quite desperate& sorry if this is OT.
          >
          > I have a Linux RHES 4.5 box that's on the same subnet as my Postfix
          > box. For security reasons, I'm not allowed to ftp/scp/sftp files between
          > this box& the Postfix server.
          >
          > I have the following Perl script which I wanted to use to mail (& attach
          > files) out to the outside but alas the Perl script below gave an error
          > that "Mime-Lite module is not available" on this server when I use it:
          > http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/
          >
          > The tool above has a --host (or --server) option which would have enabled
          > me to point to the Postfix server to enable email to be sent out from this
          > RHES 4.5 box via the Postfix box.
          >
          > It will take weeks for Change Managemt to approve installing Mime-Lite
          > module, so I'll need help on the following :
          >
          > a) is there an MUA (mailx, mutt, sendmail) that would enable me to
          > perform this same function of pointing to the Postfix server& attach
          > a file to be mailed out?

          Yes; it's called nail(1) or mailx(1).

          $ nail -a <yourfile> -s <yoursubject> recipient

          > Kindly provide the full syntax/example.

          No. Please read the documentation for any command you need to use.

          --
          J.
        • Roger Goh
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
            Yes, understand the syntax/example mutt & nail that Jeroen &
            Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.

            I got the following script which someone has tested working
            on his postfix but I have a problem with RCPT TO:
            (need someone to tell me how to obtain a valid address for RCPT TO)

            Script:
            =====

            {
               echo 'helo me'
               echo 'MAIL FROM:<you@...>'
               echo 'RCPT TO: <someone@...>'
               echo 'DATA'
               echo -e 'To:someone@...\nMIME-Version: 1.0
            (mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
            application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
               cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64
               echo '.'
            } | nc smtp.mydomain.org 25

            # telnet postfix_server 25

            220 smtp.yy.zz ESMTP
            helo me
            250 servernm.yy.zz
            MAIL FROM: <fromsms1@...>
            250 Ok
            RCPT TO: <mail@...>
            550 <mail@...>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay
            recipient table
            RCPT TO: <postfix@...>
            550 <postfix@...>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay
            recipient table
            DATA
            554 Error: no valid recipients

            How do I obtain a valid RCPT TO: address?

            TIA
            Roger
          • Roger Goh
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
              Just to add, I'm not allowed to start up sendmail (as it's hardened
              for security reason), so editing sendmail.cf may not be an option.

              So I certainly need a script/tool to do this forwarding to the relay
              /postfix server

              Roger

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 29, 2011
                Roger Goh:
                > Just to add, I'm not allowed to start up sendmail (as it's hardened
                > for security reason), so editing sendmail.cf may not be an option.
                >
                > So I certainly need a script/tool to do this forwarding to the relay
                > /postfix server

                Use the POSTFIX sendmail command.

                Wietse
              • Jeroen Geilman
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
                  On 2011-11-29 04:15, Roger Goh wrote:
                  > Yes, understand the syntax/example mutt& nail that Jeroen&
                  > Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.

                  ...why ?
                  Are you using sendmail, or are you using postfix ?

                  --
                  J.
                • Roger Goh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
                    >> Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.
                    > ...why ?
                    > Are you using sendmail, or are you using postfix ?

                    I need to send mails out from an RHES4.x box (which does
                    not have Postfix installed & sendmail is not supposed to be
                    started as it's hardened for security reason). This box is on
                    the same subnet as a Postfix server. So I needed a way to
                    route mails from this RHES4.x box via that Postfix server.

                    My first attempt in using an MUA (a Perl script) from
                    http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/ gave no joy.

                    Now, someone has given me another MUA solution which
                    doesn't require me to install any RPM package:
                    Download & compile the tool below
                    http://sourceforge.net/projects/msmtp/files/msmtp/1.4.26/
                    to get the executable binary on the RHES4.x box & on this
                    box, create .msmtprc file in the home directory of the user
                    that needs to send email (in RHES4.x box) that has the lines:

                    account postfix
                    host smtp.mypostfix_domain.com
                    from joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com

                    auth on
                    user joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
                    password secret

                    Then I can use the following Shell script (with the compiled
                    msmtp to send out mails from the RHES4.x box:
                    { echo -e 'To:someone@...\nMIME-Version: 1.0
                    (mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
                    application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
                    cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64 } | msmtp --account=postfix

                    joe_smith will be a dummy email account on the postfix
                    so the password 'secret' will not be so much of a security
                    issue.

                    Roger
                  • Jeroen Geilman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
                      On 2011-12-01 14:53, Roger Goh wrote:
                      >>> Noel provided but sendmail.cf will need to be configured.
                      >> ...why ?
                      >> Are you using sendmail, or are you using postfix ?
                      > I need to send mails out from an RHES4.x box (which does
                      > not have Postfix installed& sendmail is not supposed to be
                      > started as it's hardened for security reason). This box is on
                      > the same subnet as a Postfix server. So I needed a way to
                      > route mails from this RHES4.x box via that Postfix server.
                      >
                      > My first attempt in using an MUA (a Perl script) from
                      > http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/ gave no joy.
                      >
                      > Now, someone has given me another MUA solution which
                      > doesn't require me to install any RPM package:
                      > Download& compile the tool below
                      > http://sourceforge.net/projects/msmtp/files/msmtp/1.4.26/
                      > to get the executable binary on the RHES4.x box& on this
                      > box, create .msmtprc file in the home directory of the user
                      > that needs to send email (in RHES4.x box) that has the lines:
                      >
                      > account postfix
                      > host smtp.mypostfix_domain.com
                      > from joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
                      >
                      > auth on
                      > user joe_smith@mypostfix_domain.com
                      > password secret
                      >

                      > Then I can use the following Shell script (with the compiled
                      > msmtp to send out mails from the RHES4.x box:
                      > { echo -e 'To:someone@...\nMIME-Version: 1.0
                      > (mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
                      > application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
                      > cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64 } | msmtp --account=postfix
                      >
                      > joe_smith will be a dummy email account on the postfix
                      > so the password 'secret' will not be so much of a security
                      > issue.
                      >

                      > Roger

                      So... what, exactly, is not working ?

                      --