Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
      * Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...>:
      > Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
      > I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
      > or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
      > 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
      >
      > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
      > id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
      > Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

      That's probably amavis, not postfix
      Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt
      Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
        On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
        <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
        > That's probably amavis, not postfix
        > Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

        I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
        the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
        /var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
        Dovecot.
      • Simon Brereton
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
          On 2 November 2011 15:53, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
          > <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
          >> That's probably amavis, not postfix
          >> Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log
          >
          > I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
          > the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
          > /var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
          > Dovecot.

          First try to restart amavis - fwiw..

          Simon
        • Carlos Mennens
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
            Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
            queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
              Carlos Mennens:
              > Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
              > I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
              > or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
              > 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
              >
              > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
              > id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
              > Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

              MIME::Parser is a Perl module. Postfix is not written in Perl.

              http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm

              Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

              Wietse
            • Ralf Hildebrandt
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                * Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...>:
                > Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
                > queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.

                postsuper -d ALL
                but isn't that a bit harsh?

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                  On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                  > MIME::Parser is a Perl module. Postfix is not written in Perl.
                  >
                  > http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm
                  >
                  > Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

                  I'm aware Postfix isn't coded in Perl. I'm guessing it's C or
                  something to that nature. To my lack of expertise, the errors didn't
                  seem specific to Perl but thank you. I am (or was) using Amavisd-new
                  which I disabled until I can determine the issue.

                  On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
                  <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
                  > postsuper -d ALL
                  > but isn't that a bit harsh?

                  Yes I feel it is a bit overkill as well. I just removed all
                  re-injection parameters in main/master.cf and restarted Postfix. Then
                  a 'postqueue -f' seem to do the trick.

                  Thanks all!
                • Mark Martinec
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Just for the archive:

                    > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said:
                    > 451 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=10796-01,
                    > mime_decode-1 FAILED:
                    > MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile: Invalid argument

                    As Patrick and Gary said, looks like a trouble with a /tmp directory
                    (protection?) or its file system (full or out of inodes).

                    Older versions of MIME-tools (5.419 and older) use IO::File->new_tmpfile
                    to create a temporary file (typically in a /tmp directory), and return
                    a silly diagnostics "Invalid argument" on encountering any problem.

                    Versions of MIME-tools starting with 5.500 use File::Temp->new instead.
                    On a failure this returns a much more sensible diagnostics.

                    Mark