MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

  • Carlos Mennens
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
      Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
      I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
      or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
      'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:

      (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
      id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
      Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

      Does anyone know what this means and or where I need to adjust
      whatever is causing this error? I know users don't like when you add
      your configuration when not asked for so I will await your advice.

      Thank you so very much for any help!
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
        * Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...>:
        > Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
        > I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
        > or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
        > 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
        >
        > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
        > id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
        > Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

        That's probably amavis, not postfix
        Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt
        Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
          On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
          <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
          > That's probably amavis, not postfix
          > Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

          I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
          the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
          /var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
          Dovecot.
        • Simon Brereton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
            On 2 November 2011 15:53, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
            > <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
            >> That's probably amavis, not postfix
            >> Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log
            >
            > I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
            > the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
            > /var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
            > Dovecot.

            First try to restart amavis - fwiw..

            Simon
          • Carlos Mennens
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
              Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
              queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                Carlos Mennens:
                > Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
                > I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
                > or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
                > 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
                >
                > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
                > id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
                > Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

                MIME::Parser is a Perl module. Postfix is not written in Perl.

                http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm

                Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

                Wietse
              • Ralf Hildebrandt
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                  * Carlos Mennens <carloswill@...>:
                  > Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
                  > queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.

                  postsuper -d ALL
                  but isn't that a bit harsh?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
                    On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                    > MIME::Parser is a Perl module. Postfix is not written in Perl.
                    >
                    > http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm
                    >
                    > Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

                    I'm aware Postfix isn't coded in Perl. I'm guessing it's C or
                    something to that nature. To my lack of expertise, the errors didn't
                    seem specific to Perl but thank you. I am (or was) using Amavisd-new
                    which I disabled until I can determine the issue.

                    On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
                    <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
                    > postsuper -d ALL
                    > but isn't that a bit harsh?

                    Yes I feel it is a bit overkill as well. I just removed all
                    re-injection parameters in main/master.cf and restarted Postfix. Then
                    a 'postqueue -f' seem to do the trick.

                    Thanks all!
                  • Mark Martinec
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Just for the archive:

                      > (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said:
                      > 451 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=10796-01,
                      > mime_decode-1 FAILED:
                      > MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile: Invalid argument

                      As Patrick and Gary said, looks like a trouble with a /tmp directory
                      (protection?) or its file system (full or out of inodes).

                      Older versions of MIME-tools (5.419 and older) use IO::File->new_tmpfile
                      to create a temporary file (typically in a /tmp directory), and return
                      a silly diagnostics "Invalid argument" on encountering any problem.

                      Versions of MIME-tools starting with 5.500 use File::Temp->new instead.
                      On a failure this returns a much more sensible diagnostics.

                      Mark