Re: postfix multiple instances

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
      On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 02:17:03PM +0200, Amira Othman wrote:

      > I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another
      > instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link
      > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start
      > the second instance it does not start . I start it using command
      >
      > postmulti -p -i postfix-out start

      Did you notice that new instances are created disabled (as is clearly
      documented).

      http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#create
      http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#enable
      http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#start

    • Amira Othman
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
        Hi all

        Now two instances are running but how can I make sure that each one is
        using different ip than the other one I set bind address of the second
        instance to different ip but is there a way to show sender ip in log?

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
          Amira Othman:
          > Hi all
          >
          > Now two instances are running but how can I make sure that each one is
          > using different ip than the other one I set bind address of the second
          > instance to different ip but is there a way to show sender ip in log?

          Instead of the address, the logging shows the instance NAME.

          For the IP address, see http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#inet_interfaces

          > I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another
          > instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link
          > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start
          > the second instance it does not start . I start it using command

          Please follow instructions:

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
            Amira Othman:
            > When I try to send mail to account from the second instance I get this error
            > in mallog where myserver2 is virtual domain in the second postfix instance
            >
            > relay=none, delay=13, delays=13/0.03/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail
            > for myserver2.com loops back to myself)

            Each instance MUST have a unique myhostname setting.

            Each instance MUST have a unique inet_interfaces address list.

            Otherwise, the Postfix SMTP client will report "mail loops back to
            myself" errors.

            Wietse
          • Amira Othman
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
              I have also error when reloading the second instance
              fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use
              but each one of instances has different myhostname ans inet_interfaces
              settings

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                Amira Othman:
                > I have also error when reloading the second instance
                > fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use
                > but each one of instances has different myhostname ans inet_interfaces
                > settings

                The error message "Address already in use" PROVES that you have
                multiple mail servers instances with the SAME IP address.

                If you want real help, then you must show real evidence of your
                myhostname and inet_interfaces settings, not "yes they are different".

                Wietse

                > > When I try to send mail to account from the second instance I get this
                > error
                > > in mallog where myserver2 is virtual domain in the second postfix instance
                > >
                > > relay=none, delay=13, delays=13/0.03/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail
                > > for myserver2.com loops back to myself)
                >
                > Each instance MUST have a unique myhostname setting.
                >
                > Each instance MUST have a unique inet_interfaces address list.
                >
                > Otherwise, the Postfix SMTP client will report "mail loops back to
                > myself" errors.
                >
                > Wietse

              • Amira Othman
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                  The first instance
                  myhostname = mail.mysever.com
                  inet_interfaces = 192.168.56.102
                  The second instance

                  myhostname = mail.mysever2.com
                  inet_interfaces = 192.168.1.60

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                    Amira Othman:
                    > The first instance
                    > myhostname = mail.mysever.com
                    > inet_interfaces = 192.168.56.102
                    > The second instance
                    >
                    > myhostname = mail.mysever2.com
                    > inet_interfaces = 192.168.1.60
                    >
                    > > I have also error when reloading the second instance
                    > > fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use

                    To find out what is using 192.168.1.60, use lsof or netstat.

                    Wietse
                  • Amira Othman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011

                      Hi all

                      I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances. I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried smtp_bind_address but this didn’t work. Any suggestions about this ?

                      Regards

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                        On 11/16/2011 7:07 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
                        > Hi all
                        >
                        > I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances.
                        > I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried
                        > smtp_bind_address but this didn’t work. Any suggestions about this ?
                        >

                        > Regards

                        Postfix does not log the outgoing IP address.

                        Normally one will differentiate outgoing connections by using the
                        syslog_name configuration setting, which is automatically set to the
                        multi instance name.

                        If you require logging the IP, you will need to patch postfix for that.

                        -- Noel Jones
                      • Amira Othman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                          How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                          > Hi all
                          >
                          > I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances.
                          > I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried
                          > smtp_bind_address but this didn't work. Any suggestions about this ?
                          >

                          > Regards

                          Postfix does not log the outgoing IP address.

                          Normally one will differentiate outgoing connections by using the
                          syslog_name configuration setting, which is automatically set to the
                          multi instance name.

                          If you require logging the IP, you will need to patch postfix for that.

                          -- Noel Jones
                        • Jeroen Geilman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                            On 2011-11-16 15:43, Amira Othman wrote:
                            > How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                            Postfix logs to syslog; where these logs end up is not under postfix's
                            control.

                            --
                            J.
                          • /dev/rob0
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                              Please stop top-posting. Thank you.

                              On Wednesday 16 November 2011 08:43:49 Amira Othman wrote:
                              > How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                              You asked this last week, on Thursday. Brian and I answered you.
                            • Amira Othman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 17, 2012

                                Hi all

                                I have configured two postfix instances and both are working but I need to list and delete messages in queue . I tried postsuper –d ALL but it didn’t delete .how can I manage queue of the second instance

                                Regards

                                Amira Othman

                                Server Administrator

                                www.cairosource.com

                                6 EL Nil EL Abyad, Mohandiseen

                                Cairo, Egypt

                                Direct:     +2 02 3303 7175
                                Mobile:   +2 012 220 4165

                                The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 17, 2012
                                  On 1/17/2012 9:34 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
                                  > Hi all
                                  >
                                  > I have configured two postfix instances and both are working but I
                                  > need to list and delete messages in queue . I tried postsuper –d ALL
                                  > but it didn’t delete .how can I manage queue of the second instance

                                  http://www.postfix.org/postsuper.1.html
                                  note the "-c config_dir" option.