postfix multiple instances

  • Amira Othman
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011

      Hi all

      I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start the second instance it does not start . I start it using command

      postmulti -p -i postfix-out start

      any help about this issue

      Regards

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
        Amira Othman:
        > Hi all
        >
        > I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another
        > instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link
        > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start
        > the second instance it does not start . I start it using command
        >
        > postmulti -p -i postfix-out start

        Please provide command output and logging, as well as "postconf -n"
        output for the main configuration and secondary one.

        # postconf -n
        # postconf -n -c /other/postfix/config/directory

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2011
          On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 02:17:03PM +0200, Amira Othman wrote:

          > I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another
          > instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link
          > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start
          > the second instance it does not start . I start it using command
          >
          > postmulti -p -i postfix-out start

          Did you notice that new instances are created disabled (as is clearly
          documented).

          http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#create
          http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#enable
          http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#start

        • Amira Othman
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
            Hi all

            Now two instances are running but how can I make sure that each one is
            using different ip than the other one I set bind address of the second
            instance to different ip but is there a way to show sender ip in log?

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
              Amira Othman:
              > Hi all
              >
              > Now two instances are running but how can I make sure that each one is
              > using different ip than the other one I set bind address of the second
              > instance to different ip but is there a way to show sender ip in log?

              Instead of the address, the logging shows the instance NAME.

              For the IP address, see http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#inet_interfaces

              > I am using postfix 2.8.4 on centos 5.7 and I want to configure another
              > instance of postfix. I followed instructions in the following link
              > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html but when i try to start
              > the second instance it does not start . I start it using command

              Please follow instructions:

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2011
                Amira Othman:
                > When I try to send mail to account from the second instance I get this error
                > in mallog where myserver2 is virtual domain in the second postfix instance
                >
                > relay=none, delay=13, delays=13/0.03/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail
                > for myserver2.com loops back to myself)

                Each instance MUST have a unique myhostname setting.

                Each instance MUST have a unique inet_interfaces address list.

                Otherwise, the Postfix SMTP client will report "mail loops back to
                myself" errors.

                Wietse
              • Amira Othman
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                  I have also error when reloading the second instance
                  fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use
                  but each one of instances has different myhostname ans inet_interfaces
                  settings

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                    Amira Othman:
                    > I have also error when reloading the second instance
                    > fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use
                    > but each one of instances has different myhostname ans inet_interfaces
                    > settings

                    The error message "Address already in use" PROVES that you have
                    multiple mail servers instances with the SAME IP address.

                    If you want real help, then you must show real evidence of your
                    myhostname and inet_interfaces settings, not "yes they are different".

                    Wietse

                    > > When I try to send mail to account from the second instance I get this
                    > error
                    > > in mallog where myserver2 is virtual domain in the second postfix instance
                    > >
                    > > relay=none, delay=13, delays=13/0.03/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail
                    > > for myserver2.com loops back to myself)
                    >
                    > Each instance MUST have a unique myhostname setting.
                    >
                    > Each instance MUST have a unique inet_interfaces address list.
                    >
                    > Otherwise, the Postfix SMTP client will report "mail loops back to
                    > myself" errors.
                    >
                    > Wietse

                  • Amira Othman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                      The first instance
                      myhostname = mail.mysever.com
                      inet_interfaces = 192.168.56.102
                      The second instance

                      myhostname = mail.mysever2.com
                      inet_interfaces = 192.168.1.60

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
                        Amira Othman:
                        > The first instance
                        > myhostname = mail.mysever.com
                        > inet_interfaces = 192.168.56.102
                        > The second instance
                        >
                        > myhostname = mail.mysever2.com
                        > inet_interfaces = 192.168.1.60
                        >
                        > > I have also error when reloading the second instance
                        > > fatal: bind 192.168.1.60 port 25: Address already in use

                        To find out what is using 192.168.1.60, use lsof or netstat.

                        Wietse
                      • Amira Othman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011

                          Hi all

                          I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances. I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried smtp_bind_address but this didn’t work. Any suggestions about this ?

                          Regards

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                            On 11/16/2011 7:07 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
                            > Hi all
                            >
                            > I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances.
                            > I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried
                            > smtp_bind_address but this didn’t work. Any suggestions about this ?
                            >

                            > Regards

                            Postfix does not log the outgoing IP address.

                            Normally one will differentiate outgoing connections by using the
                            syslog_name configuration setting, which is automatically set to the
                            multi instance name.

                            If you require logging the IP, you will need to patch postfix for that.

                            -- Noel Jones
                          • Amira Othman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                              How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                              > Hi all
                              >
                              > I am using postfix 2.8 and I have configured two postfix instances.
                              > I want to display ip of sending domain in log . I tried
                              > smtp_bind_address but this didn't work. Any suggestions about this ?
                              >

                              > Regards

                              Postfix does not log the outgoing IP address.

                              Normally one will differentiate outgoing connections by using the
                              syslog_name configuration setting, which is automatically set to the
                              multi instance name.

                              If you require logging the IP, you will need to patch postfix for that.

                              -- Noel Jones
                            • Jeroen Geilman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                                On 2011-11-16 15:43, Amira Othman wrote:
                                > How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                                Postfix logs to syslog; where these logs end up is not under postfix's
                                control.

                                --
                                J.
                              • /dev/rob0
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 16, 2011
                                  Please stop top-posting. Thank you.

                                  On Wednesday 16 November 2011 08:43:49 Amira Othman wrote:
                                  > How can I separate logs of the instances to be different files?

                                  You asked this last week, on Thursday. Brian and I answered you.
                                • Amira Othman
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 17, 2012

                                    Hi all

                                    I have configured two postfix instances and both are working but I need to list and delete messages in queue . I tried postsuper –d ALL but it didn’t delete .how can I manage queue of the second instance

                                    Regards

                                    Amira Othman

                                    Server Administrator

                                    www.cairosource.com

                                    6 EL Nil EL Abyad, Mohandiseen

                                    Cairo, Egypt

                                    Direct:     +2 02 3303 7175
                                    Mobile:   +2 012 220 4165

                                    The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 17, 2012
                                      On 1/17/2012 9:34 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
                                      > Hi all
                                      >
                                      > I have configured two postfix instances and both are working but I
                                      > need to list and delete messages in queue . I tried postsuper –d ALL
                                      > but it didn’t delete .how can I manage queue of the second instance

                                      http://www.postfix.org/postsuper.1.html
                                      note the "-c config_dir" option.