Some email from list not getting sent?

  • Tim Tyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011

      Postfix experts,

        I am using Postfix 2.3.3 on a Centos 5.7 system.

         I have a peculiar problem where a client is trying so send out to 1700 local email addresses to our cloud (gmail), but it only seems to be able to send out a small portion of the list successfully.  This person is using Outlook 10 with the addresses in an  Excel spreadsheet to send out an email form to 1700 users in our Google domain.  The first 100 or so users seem to go out fine, but the rest simply don’t get delivered.  So we tried to send out in smaller bulks such as 100 at a time.  That seems to be successful.  Then we tried  to send out 200 at a time, the majority went through successfully, but some randomly did not make it out.  Normally when I examine the maillog I see 4 lines for every successful message, but in some cases, I only see one line such as:

      Oct 31 09:51:55 bclist postfix/smtpd[21089]: 6202C1400BA: client=unknown[x.x.x.x]

      Normally a line like this is followed up with From and To entries.  But I see a number of these just sitting in the log isolated.  I suspect these are related to the ones that are not getting delivered.   We have seen addresses begin dropping after the first 66 entries which feels random.   It  feels like if we keep our volume small enough (around 100), we can succeed.  But if we don’t, it seems like some buffer fills up and we start losing entries.  I do sometimes find the following in the logs as well:

      postfix/smtpd[21089]: too many errors after RSET from unknown     {But I don’t always see it associated with entries we are losing so I am not sure if it is really related}.

      I should note that we have other offices that use other smtp clients send out i tens of thousands in bulk weekly without any noticeable problem.  So other clients (albeit not Outlook) seem to work fine.

      1.       I can’t tell if this might be a Postfix problem or client side problem.

      2.        I am pretty much using the Postfix defaults for limits which have never caused me any problems in the past.  So could some limit be causing me problems?

      3.        Can some setting relate to buffering?

      4.       Is there a different setting I might consider on the client (Outlook) side?  Isn’t Outlook only supposed to send out to one recipient at a time and wait for the results before sending to the next?  If not, shouldn’t Postfix tell it to stop sending if it is getting too much too quickly?

      5.       Could The recipient smtp serve(smtp.gmail.com) be causing this problem by any chance?

      Any thoughts are much appreciated.

      Tim Tyler

      Network Engineer

      Beloit College

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2011
        Tim Tyler:
        > Oct 31 09:51:55 bclist postfix/smtpd[21089]: 6202C1400BA:
        > client=unknown[x.x.x.x]
        >
        > Normally a line like this is followed up with From and To entries. But I

        Your mail sending client is busted. You can debug this with tcpdump
        (capture to file, then examine the SMTP conversation with wireshark.

        Or you can have Postfix log the conversation with:

        # postconf debug_peer_level=1 debug_peer_list=x.x.x.x

        > postfix/smtpd[21089]: too many errors after RSET from unknown

        For safety reasons Postfix limits the number of RSET, NOOP, etc.
        commands. The counter is reset after the client sends an email
        message. In your case, no mail is sent.

        Wietse
      • Andrew Beverley
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
          On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 13:24 -0500, Tim Tyler wrote:
          > I have a peculiar problem where a client is trying so send out to
          > 1700 local email addresses to our cloud (gmail), but it only seems to
          > be able to send out a small portion of the list successfully. This
          > person is using Outlook 10 with the addresses in an Excel spreadsheet
          > to send out an email form to 1700 users in our Google domain.

          I assume that the person is adding all the email addresses to Outlook
          directly?

          I would recommend setting up a Postfix :include: file instead (along
          with appropriate alias), rather than trying to address them all
          directly. Or, even better, doing it "properly" with a mailing list
          manager.

          Andy
        • Tim Tyler
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
            Andrew,
            Yes, I agree. And furthermore, I now have some evidence that this might
            have been caused by the Symantec antivirus program on the client. I am
            told it did work in the past, but not recently. I will pass on your
            suggestions for future reference. It does feel client side related to me.
            Thanks!
            Tim