Re: upgrade to 2.8.5 with src rpm

  • Nikolaos Milas
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
      I would suggest you to use source code and build according to these
      directions:
      http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2011/01/building-postfix-2-8-on-rhel5-centos-5-from-source/

      I use SASL, LDAP, TLS and all are supported with the default CentOS
      configuration options as described on that page.

      That's what I do on my CentOS 5 systems, and it works fine every time.

      All the best,
      Nick

      On 3/10/2011 2:18 πμ, ml@... wrote:

      > Le lundi 3 octobre 2011 01:05, vous avez écrit :
      >> Have you used sasl auth with packages built from this rpm? I've had a heck
      >> of a time trying to build with the pertinent features enabled on centos 5.
      >>
      >> Joe
      > sasl authentication for sending mail works, but the package that manages the
      > authentication is broken and only supports PLAIN authentication type as
      >
      > I want to reconfigure these packages for several types of authentication but I
      > do not know how
    • Steve Jenkins
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas@...> wrote:
        > I would suggest you to use source code and build according to these
        > directions:
        > http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2011/01/building-postfix-2-8-on-rhel5-centos-5-from-source/

        At the risk of sounding biased, +1 to Nikolaos' thoughts. :)

        >>> Have you used sasl auth with packages built from this rpm? I've had a
        >>> heck
        >>> of a time trying to build with the pertinent features enabled on centos
        >>> 5.

        >> sasl authentication for sending mail works, but the package that manages
        >> the
        >> authentication is broken and only supports PLAIN authentication type as
        >>
        >> I want to reconfigure these packages for several types of authentication
        >> but I
        >> do not know how

        Normally, I like to use RPMs when possible. However, in the case of
        Postfix, I've found it's much easier, and allows for much more
        flexibility, to simply declare the settings you need with "make
        makefiles" and then just build from the source as explained in my
        HowTo.

        The Postfix RPMs I've seen floating around out there seem to have a
        number of patches. I've discussed them with Simon Mudd (who build the
        original Postfix RPMs a while back) and he warns that his spec file
        (and the ones derived from it) is very old and based on much earlier
        versions of Postfix, and that he's not following Postfix's progress
        any more. Many of the available patches address issues that are
        already addressed in the current Postfix version, and attempt to solve
        issues that are no longer issues - thereby creating new issues. :)

        Again, I like RPMs - but in Postfix's case, the "make upgrade" path as
        designed by Wietse works wonderfully, and it's what I recommend with
        RedHat/CentOS.

        SteveJ
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
          Am 03.10.2011 18:48, schrieb Steve Jenkins:
          > Normally, I like to use RPMs when possible. However, in the case of
          > Postfix, I've found it's much easier, and allows for much more
          > flexibility, to simply declare the settings you need with "make
          > makefiles" and then just build from the source as explained in my
          > HowTo

          what is here easier?

          there are MTA-dependencies which are not given building beside the
          package-manager - dirty ways!

          > The Postfix RPMs I've seen floating around out there seem to have a
          > number of patches. I've discussed them with Simon Mudd (who build the
          > original Postfix RPMs a while back) and he warns that his spec file
          > (and the ones derived from it) is very old and based on much earlier
          > versions of Postfix, and that he's not following Postfix's progress
          > any more. Many of the available patches address issues that are
          > already addressed in the current Postfix version, and attempt to solve
          > issues that are no longer issues - thereby creating new issues. :)

          it takes 5 minutes to clean the SPEC-File and remove
          these patches - really i do not understand your problem
        • Steve Jenkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
            On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
            > it takes 5 minutes to clean the SPEC-File and remove
            > these patches - really i do not understand your problem

            It takes 5 minutes for YOU to clean the SPEC file, because you're
            familiar with Postfix, you know precisely what you want in a Postfix
            installation, and know precisely WHAT to clean to get it. :)

            However, most don't have the experience that you and the other senior
            members of the Postfix community, and can easily get confused. From
            the questions I get through that blog article, it's clear there is a
            wide range of expertise levels when it comes to Postfix, RPMs, and
            source compiling. That's how this whole thread got started! :)

            SteveJ
          • ml@smtp.fakessh.eu
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
              Le lundi 3 octobre 2011 19:09, Steve Jenkins a écrit :
              > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...>
              wrote:
              > > it takes 5 minutes to clean the SPEC-File and remove
              > > these patches - really i do not understand your problem
              >
              > It takes 5 minutes for YOU to clean the SPEC file, because you're
              > familiar with Postfix, you know precisely what you want in a Postfix
              > installation, and know precisely WHAT to clean to get it. :)
              >
              > However, most don't have the experience that you and the other senior
              > members of the Postfix community, and can easily get confused. From
              > the questions I get through that blog article, it's clear there is a
              > wide range of expertise levels when it comes to Postfix, RPMs, and
              > source compiling. That's how this whole thread got started! :)
              >
              > SteveJ

              I just finished cleaning the file .spec
              I was largely based on the work of Simon J Mudd

              my work
              http://pastebin.com/ndWDDJzD

              it's safe

              --
               http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x092164A7
               gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 092164A7

              http://urlshort.eu fakessh @