BCC in access type

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2011
      According to access Manpage
      http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

      The BCC option for a access lookup is not supported. When will
      support for BCC be added ?

      Thanks
      Ram
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2011
        Ram:
        > According to access Manpage
        > http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
        >
        > The BCC option for a access lookup is not supported. When will
        > support for BCC be added ?

        According to the HISTORY file:

        20070405

        Feature: BCC access/policy action, to demonstrate that this
        is not a good feature. The action's behavior is non-intuitive
        and requires too much documentation to explain. It's
        therefore snapshot only. File: smtpd/smtpd_check.c.

        Among the limitations are: the BCC access/policy action can't be
        used in the before-smtpd_proxy_filter smtpd process, and it can't
        be used with smtpd_delay_reject=no before the MAIL FROM command
        (these limitations also apply to FILTER, HOLD, DISCARD, REDIRECT).

        These limitations don't exist with recipient/sender_bcc_maps;
        every match will add a BCC recipient. The differences between
        _bcc_maps and BCC in access maps make the feature non-intuitive.

        And intuitive it has to be, because many people assume that Postfix
        documentation is as useless as other documentation.

        Wietse
      • Ram
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
          On 10/01/2011 06:43 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Ram:
          >> According to access Manpage
          >> http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
          >>
          >> The BCC option for a access lookup is not supported. When will
          >> support for BCC be added ?
          > According to the HISTORY file:
          >
          > 20070405
          >
          > Feature: BCC access/policy action, to demonstrate that this
          > is not a good feature. The action's behavior is non-intuitive
          > and requires too much documentation to explain. It's
          > therefore snapshot only. File: smtpd/smtpd_check.c.
          >
          > Among the limitations are: the BCC access/policy action can't be
          > used in the before-smtpd_proxy_filter smtpd process, and it can't
          > be used with smtpd_delay_reject=no before the MAIL FROM command
          > (these limitations also apply to FILTER, HOLD, DISCARD, REDIRECT).
          >
          > These limitations don't exist with recipient/sender_bcc_maps;
          > every match will add a BCC recipient. The differences between
          > _bcc_maps and BCC in access maps make the feature non-intuitive.
          >
          > And intuitive it has to be, because many people assume that Postfix
          > documentation is as useless as other documentation.

          Is there a patch file available for 2.8.2 :-)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
            Ram:
            > On 10/01/2011 06:43 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Ram:
            > >> According to access Manpage
            > >> http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
            > >>
            > >> The BCC option for a access lookup is not supported. When will
            > >> support for BCC be added ?
            > > According to the HISTORY file:
            > >
            > > 20070405
            > >
            > > Feature: BCC access/policy action, to demonstrate that this
            > > is not a good feature. The action's behavior is non-intuitive
            > > and requires too much documentation to explain. It's
            > > therefore snapshot only. File: smtpd/smtpd_check.c.
            > >
            > > Among the limitations are: the BCC access/policy action can't be
            > > used in the before-smtpd_proxy_filter smtpd process, and it can't
            > > be used with smtpd_delay_reject=no before the MAIL FROM command
            > > (these limitations also apply to FILTER, HOLD, DISCARD, REDIRECT).

            Oh, and I forgot to mention, it also can't be used in the
            smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions.

            > > These limitations don't exist with recipient/sender_bcc_maps;
            > > every match will add a BCC recipient. The differences between
            > > _bcc_maps and BCC in access maps make the feature non-intuitive.
            > >
            > > And intuitive it has to be, because many people assume that Postfix
            > > documentation is as useless as other documentation.
            >
            > Is there a patch file available for 2.8.2 :-)

            As documented in the HISTORY FILE, this is a bad feature, and it
            is not available for the stable release.