alleviating Temporary lookup failures

  • John Baker
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hi there,

      Over the last serveral months we have needed to add ldap lookups to virtual_alias_maps and alias_maps. For the most part everything is fine but we occasionally get a rush of Temporary lookup failures during  RCPT. As best I can figure this happens when somebody hits us with several hundred pieces of spam or mass marketing in a small amount of time. But I'm not really sure why because the ldap servers always look fine and don't seem to complain though the lookup failures sometimes extend to mail servers that are not under a heavy load. I have two servers listed in server_host and switched from names to ip's in the definition just in case dns was causing it. The problem seemed to get less frequent after that but didn't go away.

      Would anybody have any suggestions for further diagnosing and solving this problem?

      Thanks

      --
      John Baker
      Network Administrator