email to smtp server from a cron entry returns relaying not allowed

  • dwoody1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      I have a perl program that sends email out. It is called from other perl
      programs as well as shell scripts. When run from the command prompt it
      works as expected. However, when it is run from a cron entry and I send
      an email from myself to myself (from user@... to
      user@...) from my computer I get a 'Relaying not allowed' error
      from the smtp server.

      an example:
      Sep 28 19:42:56 star1 postfix/smtp[911]: E6DE91BDC2B:
      to=<user@...>, relay=mail.example.com[205.178.100.12]:2525,
      delay=0.31, delays=0.05/0/0.21/0.05, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host
      mail.example.com[205.178.100.12] said: 550 Relaying not allowed (in
      reply to MAIL FROM command))

      I have talked to the help desk for the smtp server and where I was using
      port 25 they recommended 2525. Where I was using smtp.example.com they
      suggested trying mail.example.com. I have also put specific usernames in
      the sender_relay file as well. None of these changes helped.

      I looked through the variables in env and set and no variables seemed to
      be relevant for this problem.

      A search of the web and the archive on Postfix has turned up nothing
      even close to my problem.

      Some email recipients ISPs will not except direct email. It has to go
      through an acceptable mail server. I assume this means that I have to
      use a rely host.

      output from postconf -n
      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      html_directory = no
      inet_interfaces = localhost
      mail_owner = postfix
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
      message_size_limit = 12480000
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
      sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
      sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtp_connection_cache_on_demand = no
      smtp_sasl_security_options =
      smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

      /etc/postfix/sender_relay
      *@... [smtp.isp.net]:2525
      *@... [smtp.example.com]:2525

      /etc/postfix/sender_canonical