Re: postfix+mailman - User unknown in virtual mailbox table

  • J. Bakshi
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
      On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
      Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

      > J. Bakshi:

      > > > You failed to set the ownership of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
      > > > and /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db.
      > > >
      > > > I suppose this would be mentioned in the mailman instructions.
      > > >
      > > > Wietse
      > >
      > > I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
      > > Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
      > > already
      > >
      > > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
      > >
      > > -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
      >
      > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
      >
      > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
      > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
      >
      > Wietse

      OK, now I have the following

      -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

      but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..

      Restarted both postfix and mailman, obviously..
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        J. Bakshi:
        > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
        > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        >
        > > J. Bakshi:

        > > > I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
        > > > Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
        > > > already
        > > >
        > > > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
        > > >
        > > > -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
        > >
        > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
        > >
        > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
        > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
        > >
        > > Wietse
        >
        > OK, now I have the following
        >
        > -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
        >
        > but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..

        I told you to set the ownership of TWO FILES.

        Since you are following SUSE instructions, I suggest that you ask
        them for help instead.

        Wietse
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          Am 02.09.2011 15:22, schrieb Wietse Venema:
          >> I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
          >> Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
          >> already
          >>
          >> -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
          >>
          >> -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
          >
          > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
          >
          > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
          > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file

          you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
          and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed
        • J. Bakshi
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
            Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

            > J. Bakshi:
            > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
            > > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > J. Bakshi:

            > > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
            > > >
            > > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
            > > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
            > > >
            > > > Wietse
            > >
            > > OK, now I have the following
            > >
            > > -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
            > >
            > > but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..
            >
            > I told you to set the ownership of TWO FILES.
            >
            > Since you are following SUSE instructions, I suggest that you ask
            > them for help instead.
            >
            > Wietse

            The other one i.e.

            /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db

            already have mailman as owner...
          • J. Bakshi
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
              On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:54:51 +0200
              Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

              > Am 02.09.2011 15:22, schrieb Wietse Venema:
              > >> I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
              > >> Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
              > >> already
              > >>
              > >> -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
              > >>
              > >> -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
              > >
              > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
              > >
              > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
              > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file
              >
              > you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
              > and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed

              That file too have the owner as mailman

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                Am 02.09.2011 16:00, schrieb J. Bakshi:
                > On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:54:51 +0200
                > Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

                >>> You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
                >>>
                >>> Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
                >>> Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file
                >>
                >> you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
                >> and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed
                >>

                > That file too have the owner as mailman
                >
                > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db

                i know and that is why i answered Wietse and not to you