Re: postfix+mailman - User unknown in virtual mailbox table

  • J. Bakshi
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
      On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 08:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
      Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

      > J. Bakshi:
      > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 07:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
      > > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > J. Bakshi:
      > > >
      > > > You have the domain name in virtual_mailbox_domains. Postfix expects
      > > > that you have the recipients in virtual_mailbox_maps.

      > > > You have the addresses the local(8) aliases. Postfix uses those
      > > > only for domains listed in mydestination.
      > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      > >
      > > You have given me a clue here !!! I have added the list domain at
      > > mydestination and now no problem to send the mail. Though a new error
      > > now
      > >
      > > ```````````
      > > Command died with status 2:
      > > "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request typo3". Command output: Failure to
      > > exec script. WANTED gid 67, GOT gid 65533.
      > > ```````````
      > >
      > > gid 67 is mailman group where 65533 is nobody. Don't know why it is
      > > getting nobody...
      >
      > You failed to set the ownership of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
      > and /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db.
      >
      > I suppose this would be mentioned in the mailman instructions.
      >
      > Wietse

      I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
      Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
      already

      -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db

      -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
        J. Bakshi:
        > > > Command died with status 2:
        > > > "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request typo3". Command output: Failure to
        > > > exec script. WANTED gid 67, GOT gid 65533.
        > > > ```````````
        > > >
        > > > gid 67 is mailman group where 65533 is nobody. Don't know why it is
        > > > getting nobody...
        > >
        > > You failed to set the ownership of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
        > > and /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db.
        > >
        > > I suppose this would be mentioned in the mailman instructions.
        > >
        > > Wietse
        >
        > I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
        > Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
        > already
        >
        > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
        >
        > -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

        You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.

        Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
        Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.

        Wietse
      • J. Bakshi
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
          On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
          Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

          > J. Bakshi:

          > > > You failed to set the ownership of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
          > > > and /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db.
          > > >
          > > > I suppose this would be mentioned in the mailman instructions.
          > > >
          > > > Wietse
          > >
          > > I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
          > > Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
          > > already
          > >
          > > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
          > >
          > > -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
          >
          > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
          >
          > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
          > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
          >
          > Wietse

          OK, now I have the following

          -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

          but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..

          Restarted both postfix and mailman, obviously..
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
            J. Bakshi:
            > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
            > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            >
            > > J. Bakshi:

            > > > I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
            > > > Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
            > > > already
            > > >
            > > > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
            > > >
            > > > -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
            > >
            > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
            > >
            > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
            > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            >
            > OK, now I have the following
            >
            > -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
            >
            > but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..

            I told you to set the ownership of TWO FILES.

            Since you are following SUSE instructions, I suggest that you ask
            them for help instead.

            Wietse
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
              Am 02.09.2011 15:22, schrieb Wietse Venema:
              >> I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
              >> Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
              >> already
              >>
              >> -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
              >>
              >> -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
              >
              > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
              >
              > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
              > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file

              you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
              and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed
            • J. Bakshi
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
                Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

                > J. Bakshi:
                > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 09:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
                > > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > J. Bakshi:

                > > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
                > > >
                > > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
                > > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file.
                > > >
                > > > Wietse
                > >
                > > OK, now I have the following
                > >
                > > -rw-rw---- 1 mailman root 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
                > >
                > > but still the same error :-( Also tried with mailman:mailman but no luck..
                >
                > I told you to set the ownership of TWO FILES.
                >
                > Since you are following SUSE instructions, I suggest that you ask
                > them for help instead.
                >
                > Wietse

                The other one i.e.

                /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db

                already have mailman as owner...
              • J. Bakshi
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                  On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:54:51 +0200
                  Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

                  > Am 02.09.2011 15:22, schrieb Wietse Venema:
                  > >> I have not found any such instruction in suse mailman manual.
                  > >> Checked the ownership and found they are set to mailman group
                  > >> already
                  > >>
                  > >> -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db
                  > >>
                  > >> -rw-rw---- 1 root mailman 1865 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
                  > >
                  > > You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
                  > >
                  > > Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
                  > > Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file
                  >
                  > you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
                  > and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed

                  That file too have the owner as mailman

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2011
                    Am 02.09.2011 16:00, schrieb J. Bakshi:
                    > On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:54:51 +0200
                    > Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

                    >>> You must set the OWNER to mailman, not the GROUP.
                    >>>
                    >>> Then, Postfix will is use the mailman group ID in the PASSWORD file.
                    >>> Postfix will not use the mailman group ID in the GROUP file
                    >>
                    >> you did not notice that "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db" is the relevant file
                    >> and has the owner "mailman", "/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" is the unhashed
                    >>

                    > That file too have the owner as mailman
                    >
                    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 12288 Sep 2 11:07 /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db

                    i know and that is why i answered Wietse and not to you