Re: mailman configuration issue with a functional postfix server

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      J. Bakshi:
      > Hello list,
      >
      > It seems a postfix configuration problem, hence posting here.
      >
      > This is an open-suse 11.4 box with a postfix server, support multidomain
      > and functional since 2006.
      >
      > I have installed mailman here. I have followed the suse README
      > file shipped with this mailman package and done the configuration
      > accordingly. I have created a list and can sent there subscription
      > request. the system also sent me back the mail having confirmation code.
      > Good..... A reply to that message do noting and not get any mail after sending
      > reply to that again and again. So completed subscription with web link.
      > Welcome mail sentarrived. Not bad till now. But when I sent mail to the list,
      > those mails are not distributed... :-( I think there is something missing
      > in postfix ( actually in the manual) that mailman can't sent confirmation as well
      > as distribute the mail to the list.
      >
      > The aliases has been added at /etc/aliases and main.conf has already
      > this file as alias_map
      >
      > The main.cf and master.cf is unchanged as there is nothing
      > in README which advise to do any modification.
      >
      > Could someone kindly enlighten me to realize the missing link ?

      First, have a look at the error and warning messages in the maillog
      file.

      Second, have a look at the instructions in the welcome message of
      this mailing list.

      Wietse
    • J. Bakshi
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:29:12 -0400 (EDT)
        Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:

        > J. Bakshi:
        > > Hello list,
        > >
        > > It seems a postfix configuration problem, hence posting here.
        > >
        > > This is an open-suse 11.4 box with a postfix server, support multidomain
        > > and functional since 2006.
        > >
        > > I have installed mailman here. I have followed the suse README
        > > file shipped with this mailman package and done the configuration
        > > accordingly. I have created a list and can sent there subscription
        > > request. the system also sent me back the mail having confirmation code.
        > > Good..... A reply to that message do noting and not get any mail after sending
        > > reply to that again and again. So completed subscription with web link.
        > > Welcome mail sentarrived. Not bad till now. But when I sent mail to the list,
        > > those mails are not distributed... :-( I think there is something missing
        > > in postfix ( actually in the manual) that mailman can't sent confirmation as well
        > > as distribute the mail to the list.
        > >
        > > The aliases has been added at /etc/aliases and main.conf has already
        > > this file as alias_map
        > >
        > > The main.cf and master.cf is unchanged as there is nothing
        > > in README which advise to do any modification.
        > >
        > > Could someone kindly enlighten me to realize the missing link ?
        >
        > First, have a look at the error and warning messages in the maillog
        > file.
        >
        > Second, have a look at the instructions in the welcome message of
        > this mailing list.
        >
        > Wietse

        Thanks..

        From mail.log it is seen the messages are successfully delivered
        to the list account. No warning.

        The welcome message is according to standard template and
        the links given at that message are all working well.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
          J. Bakshi:
          J. Bakshi:
          > Could someone kindly enlighten me to realize the missing link ?

          Wietse:
          > First, have a look at the error and warning messages in the maillog
          > file.
          >
          > Second, have a look at the instructions in the welcome message of
          > this mailing list.

          J. Bakshi:
          > Thanks..
          >
          > From mail.log it is seen the messages are successfully delivered
          > to the list account. No warning.

          OK, now you need to look in the mailman logfile. That may reveal
          why mailman is not able to send mail into Postfix.

          > The welcome message is according to standard template and
          > the links given at that message are all working well.

          I was referring to this mailing list (postfix-users) which has
          the following welcome message:

          Thank you for using Postfix.