SRS for Postfix

  • Hieronim Sokolski
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hello,

      I am looking for SRS solution for Postfix, as in SPF-compliant world lack of this breaks forwarding from my site. We use Zimbra, so hacks with .forward file or /etc/aliases directing to "| /usr/bin/srs ..." will not work. I am going to either install SRS software on Zimbra MTA, which is Postfix controlled by Zimbra configuration scripts, or on outgoing mail gateway - also Postfix now.

      I realized that Postfix can support SRS through milters. Can you recommend me any SRS milter, stable and known to work with Postfix (not employing protocol features present only in Sendmail)? Eventually I can switch to another edge MTA, but if this is possible, I will stay with Postfix.

      I suppose that the question isn't too original, but I have found surprisingly few information on the web, and mostly outdated.

      Thanks
      Hieronim
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hieronim Sokolski:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking for SRS solution for Postfix, as in SPF-compliant
        > world lack of this breaks forwarding from my site. We use Zimbra,
        > so hacks with .forward file or /etc/aliases directing to "|
        > /usr/bin/srs ..." will not work. I am going to either install SRS
        > software on Zimbra MTA, which is Postfix controlled by Zimbra
        > configuration scripts, or on outgoing mail gateway - also Postfix
        > now.
        >
        > I realized that Postfix can support SRS through milters. Can you
        > recommend me any SRS milter, stable and known to work with Postfix
        > (not employing protocol features present only in Sendmail)?
        > Eventually I can switch to another edge MTA, but if this is possible,
        > I will stay with Postfix.
        >
        > I suppose that the question isn't too original, but I have found
        > surprisingly few information on the web, and mostly outdated.

        Indeed. Five years ago I hoped that it would be sufficient to provide
        the Postfix hooks, so that people with more time than me could provide
        the implementations of DKIM, SPF, SRS, and other protocols.

        If you find a 100% Milter-based SRS solution then you are welcome
        to report to the mailing list. The ones that I found invoke socketmaps
        from sendmail.cf, instead of using the Milter SMFIR_CHGFROM (replace
        sender) command which is available since Postfix 2.6. At this point
        it would probably make sense to add Sendmail-style socketmap support
        to Postfix.

        Wietse
      • Murray S. Kucherawy
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011

          Which ones had you found? I'd be interested to take a look at them.

          (I'm not a fan of SRS, but I'm interested in milter-related mechanics.)
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
            Murray S. Kucherawy:

            I found these with queries for "srs milter" and "srs chgfrom":

            http://srs-socketmap.info/spf/
            Invokes socketmaps from sendmail.cf to rewrite outbound
            senders, and uses Milter for inbound RCPT TO verification.
            This is sendmail-milter-spf-1.42.pl, which can also be found
            in other places.

            http://www.bmsi.com/python/milter.html
            Mentions SMFIR_CHGFROM support real soon now for pysrs, but
            I could not find it in the latest source.

            pysrs and sendmail-milter-spf appear to pre-date SMFIR_CHGFROM
            (introduced 2006 with Sendmail 8.14.0), and both have not been
            updated in the last 5-6 years.