Re: patch proposal

  • Hari Hendaryanto
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 12:12 AM
      On 8/2/2011 2:29 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Hari Hendaryanto:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
      >> are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
      >> Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
      >> tcp_table.
      >>
      >> Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
      >>
      >> If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
      >> be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
      >> tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
      >> applications.
      >>
      > This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
      > map-specific protocol does not change.
      >
      > foo:tcp:host:port
      > foo:unix:/pathname
      > foo:tls:tcp:host:port
      >
      > This needs further thought.
      >
      > Wietse

      I have another scenario

      tcp:host:port
      tcp:/path/name

      The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
      can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
      while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
      environment server.

      TIA

      Powered By http://www.3g-net.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 7:23 AM
        Hari Hendaryanto:
        > On 8/2/2011 2:29 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > > Hari Hendaryanto:
        > >> Hello,
        > >>
        > >> I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
        > >> are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
        > >> Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
        > >> tcp_table.
        > >>
        > >> Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
        > >>
        > >> If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
        > >> be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
        > >> tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
        > >> applications.
        > >>
        > > This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
        > > map-specific protocol does not change.
        > >
        > > foo:tcp:host:port
        > > foo:unix:/pathname
        > > foo:tls:tcp:host:port
        > >
        > > This needs further thought.
        > >
        > > Wietse
        > >

        > I have another scenario
        >
        > tcp:host:port
        > tcp:/path/name

        Sorry, tcp:/path/name is bad user interface design. Everywhere else
        in Postfix, one has to specify the socket TYPE before the socket
        NAME (with BC compatibility for programs such as the SMTP client
        or TCP map that were desigined initially for TCP sockets only).

        > The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
        > can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
        > while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
        > environment server.

        And I have to consider the longer-term issue of keeping the system
        usable as it evolves. This means I will fight to keep the use
        interface clean.

        Wietse
      • Hari Hendaryanto
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 6:25 PM
          On 8/3/2011 9:23 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >> I have another scenario
          >>
          >> tcp:host:port
          >> tcp:/path/name
          > Sorry, tcp:/path/name is bad user interface design. Everywhere else
          > in Postfix, one has to specify the socket TYPE before the socket
          > NAME (with BC compatibility for programs such as the SMTP client
          > or TCP map that were desigined initially for TCP sockets only).
          that's fine with me, on my first. patch i'm using "usock" as dict type,
          since "unix" already
          used for unix user/group lookup table. but it has been said that there
          was namespace
          issue with that design. well, i guest i have to look for another third
          party work arround :)

          >> The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
          >> can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
          >> while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
          >> environment server.
          > And I have to consider the longer-term issue of keeping the system
          > usable as it evolves. This means I will fight to keep the use
          > interface clean.
          This is very understandable to me :) . i just want to connect to unix
          domain socket with
          with a similar protocol as tcp_table. thanks a lot for attention Wietse.