Re: patch proposal

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hari Hendaryanto:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
      > are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
      > Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
      > tcp_table.
      >
      > Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
      >
      > If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
      > be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
      > tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
      > applications.

      This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
      map-specific protocol does not change.

      foo:tcp:host:port
      foo:unix:/pathname
      foo:tls:tcp:host:port

      This needs further thought.

      Wietse

      > Powered By http://www.3g-net.net

      [ Attachment, skipping... ]
    • Hari Hendaryanto
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2011
        On 8/2/2011 2:29 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Hari Hendaryanto:
        >> Hello,
        >>
        >> I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
        >> are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
        >> Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
        >> tcp_table.
        >>
        >> Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
        >>
        >> If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
        >> be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
        >> tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
        >> applications.
        >>
        > This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
        > map-specific protocol does not change.
        >
        > foo:tcp:host:port
        > foo:unix:/pathname
        > foo:tls:tcp:host:port
        >
        > This needs further thought.
        >
        > Wietse

        ok, i'll wait for the good news.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
          On 8/2/2011 2:29 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Hari Hendaryanto:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
          >> are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
          >> Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
          >> tcp_table.
          >>
          >> Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
          >>
          >> If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
          >> be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
          >> tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
          >> applications.
          >>
          > This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
          > map-specific protocol does not change.
          >
          > foo:tcp:host:port
          > foo:unix:/pathname
          > foo:tls:tcp:host:port
          >
          > This needs further thought.
          >
          > Wietse

          I have another scenario

          tcp:host:port
          tcp:/path/name

          The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
          can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
          while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
          environment server.

          TIA

          Powered By http://www.3g-net.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
            Hari Hendaryanto:
            > On 8/2/2011 2:29 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Hari Hendaryanto:
            > >> Hello,
            > >>
            > >> I've created a patch that mimicked tcp_table. however, the table lookups
            > >> are directed to a unix domain socket instead of tcp servers.
            > >> Actually, the patch itself is a modification of the source code of
            > >> tcp_table.
            > >>
            > >> Map names have the form usock:/path/to/socket
            > >>
            > >> If i'm not on the right path, can i request similiar feature.? (it would
            > >> be great to have both tcp|unix-domain-socket_table)
            > >> tcp_table is great, its simple protocol allows us to talk to various
            > >> applications.
            > >>
            > > This really sounds like a name space design issue, since the
            > > map-specific protocol does not change.
            > >
            > > foo:tcp:host:port
            > > foo:unix:/pathname
            > > foo:tls:tcp:host:port
            > >
            > > This needs further thought.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            > >

            > I have another scenario
            >
            > tcp:host:port
            > tcp:/path/name

            Sorry, tcp:/path/name is bad user interface design. Everywhere else
            in Postfix, one has to specify the socket TYPE before the socket
            NAME (with BC compatibility for programs such as the SMTP client
            or TCP map that were desigined initially for TCP sockets only).

            > The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
            > can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
            > while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
            > environment server.

            And I have to consider the longer-term issue of keeping the system
            usable as it evolves. This means I will fight to keep the use
            interface clean.

            Wietse
          • Hari Hendaryanto
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
              On 8/3/2011 9:23 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
              >> I have another scenario
              >>
              >> tcp:host:port
              >> tcp:/path/name
              > Sorry, tcp:/path/name is bad user interface design. Everywhere else
              > in Postfix, one has to specify the socket TYPE before the socket
              > NAME (with BC compatibility for programs such as the SMTP client
              > or TCP map that were desigined initially for TCP sockets only).
              that's fine with me, on my first. patch i'm using "usock" as dict type,
              since "unix" already
              used for unix user/group lookup table. but it has been said that there
              was namespace
              issue with that design. well, i guest i have to look for another third
              party work arround :)

              >> The reason why i wanted this feature is, by using unix domain socket i
              >> can protect my backend server from interference on multiuser environment.
              >> while tcp server is adequate for my single administrator/user
              >> environment server.
              > And I have to consider the longer-term issue of keeping the system
              > usable as it evolves. This means I will fight to keep the use
              > interface clean.
              This is very understandable to me :) . i just want to connect to unix
              domain socket with
              with a similar protocol as tcp_table. thanks a lot for attention Wietse.