Re: postfix duplicate mail aliases

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
      On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:52:31PM +0300, Vasil Mikhalenya wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I can not find solution for the following problem:
      > if I send mail to user1@mydomain, and list1@mydomain
      > and /etc/aliases contains list1: user1,user2
      > postfix duplicates email for the user1(2 identical email delivered to
      > user1 mailbox)

      Yes, this is unavoidable without de-duplication below the local(8)
      transport. For example, with mailbox_transport = cyrus (a transport
      that delivers to Cyrus IMAP mailboxes...) duplicate messages are
      suppressed by the Cyrus IMAP mailstore.

      Postfix delivers local mail to multiple users in parallel, and so
      duplicate elimination directly in local(8) is not currently available.

    • Nikolaos Milas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
        On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 02:52:31PM +0300, Vasil Mikhalenya wrote:

        >> Hi all,
        >>
        >> I can not find solution for the following problem:
        >> if I send mail to user1@mydomain, and list1@mydomain
        >> and /etc/aliases contains list1: user1,user2
        >> postfix duplicates email for the user1(2 identical email delivered to
        >> user1 mailbox)

        You may want to try:

        enable_original_recipient = no
        smtpd_discard_ehlo_keywords = silent-discard, dsn

        Notes:

        1. When we activate these settings, in the logs there is no more any
        indication of the original recipient!

        2. Also, this will eliminate duplicates only when your server is used as
        the original smtp server to send the emails. For mails sent from other
        servers to the group alias, duplication cannot be eliminated at the
        Postfix level (afaik).

        Nick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
          On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:25:59AM +0300, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

          > You may want to try:
          >
          > enable_original_recipient = no
          > smtpd_discard_ehlo_keywords = silent-discard, dsn

          None of this has any impact on delivery to local aliases that overlap
          with each other or an explicitly specified original user.