format of alias entries

  • Jay G. Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2011
      Can someone tell me whether the following is correct?

      virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias hash:/etc/aliases

      It begins to look like if the file ___HAS___ colons, like the aliases
      man page that comes with postfix says, and you use
      postalias hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias
      with lines that look like:
      schumi: schumi@..., schumi@...
      that should work. "works" means mail goes to the places listed on the RHS
      of the colon.

      If you leave out the colon, then you use post___map___
      postmap hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias
      with lines that look like:
      schumi schumi@..., schumi@...
      and that works. "works" means mail goes to the places listed on the RHS.

      Both work for me, as long as I use
      postalias on files WITH colons, and
      postmap on files WITHOUT colons.
      I have a book that says one thing, and the man page says another.

      j.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2011
        Jay G. Scott:

        > Can someone tell me whether the following is correct?
        >
        > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias hash:/etc/aliases
        >
        > It begins to look like if the file ___HAS___ colons, like the aliases

        That statement is not supported by Postfix documentation.

        > man page that comes with postfix says, and you use
        > postalias hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias
        > with lines that look like:
        > schumi: schumi@..., schumi@...

        As documented, use the POSTMAP command for virtual aliases.