smtp_tls or smtpd_tls

  • gaby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011

      Hi

       I confuse smtp_tls..... parameters setings (i.e. smtp_tls_CAfile=...) with smtpd_tls_.... parameters setings.
      For postfix witth TLS which settings is used smtpd_tls.. or smtp_tls...?
        What port is good for sent email via outlook express with postfix TLS 25 with requires a secure connections (SSL) or port 465 ?

      Thanks

      Gaby

    • Ansgar Wiechers
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        On 2011-07-05 gaby wrote:
        > I confuse smtp_tls..... parameters setings (i.e. smtp_tls_CAfile=...)
        > with smtpd_tls_.... parameters setings.
        > For postfix witth TLS which settings is used smtpd_tls.. or smtp_tls...?

        Depends.

        Do you want encrypted connections from somewhere TO Postfix? That is
        achieved by smtpd_tls_* (Postfix is the server).
        Or do you want encrypted connections FROM Postfix to somewhere else?
        That is achieved by smtp_tls_* (Postfix is the client).

        > What port is good for sent email via outlook express with postfix
        > TLS 25 with requires a secure connections (SSL) or port 465 ?

        Neither, nor. Use submission (port 587/tcp) for this purpose.

        Regards
        Ansgar Wiechers
        --Joel Spolsky
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 03:35:56PM +0300, gaby wrote:
          > I confuse smtp_tls..... parameters setings (i.e.
          > smtp_tls_CAfile=...) with smtpd_tls_.... parameters setings.
          > For postfix witth TLS which settings is used smtpd_tls.. or
          > smtp_tls...?

          A mail transfer agent such as Postfix is both a SMTP server to
          receive mail from other MTAs, and a SMTP client, to relay mail to
          other MTAs.

          The trailing "d" in smtpd(8) is a Unix standard to indicate a daemon
          or server process. smtpd is the server, smtp(8) is the client. The
          postconf(5) setting prefix of smtp_ indicates client-specific
          settings, whereas smtpd_ indicates server settings.

          See wikipedia about SMTP and mail for general information, and here
          for Postfix design:
          http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

          > What port is good for sent email via outlook express with postfix
          > TLS 25 with requires a secure connections (SSL) or port 465 ?

          Outlook Express is buggy, broken, and not supported by its maker.
          Generally a very poor choice, considering that many good and free
          alternatives exist.

          The smtps protocol (port 465) was deprecated by the move of SSL to
          TLS 1.0. New sites should not be implementing smtps.

          RFC 4409 designates port 587 for mail submission from clients. See
          the lines for submission in master.cf -- this is commented by
          default, but can be enabled easily. A submission service usually
          requires SASL AUTH, so see here as well:
          http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:24:19 -0500
            /dev/rob0 articulated:

            > Outlook Express is buggy, broken, and not supported by its maker.
            > Generally a very poor choice, considering that many good and free
            > alternatives exist.

            Yes, Outlook Express like Firefox-4 is no longer supported by its
            maker. I understand that Windows Live Mail is suppose to be OE's
            replacement. It is free; however, I have never personally used it.

            As always, YMMV and the commentary on the product will be directly tied
            to the individual's OS whom you ask for advice.

            Personally, on a Windows platform I use Becky Internet Mail
            "http://www.rimarts.co.jp/becky.htm". It is free for 30 days and has a
            very good support infrastructure in place.

            --
            Jerry ✌
            postfix-user@...