Re: Relay hosts + forwarding specific addresses

  • /dev/rob0
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4 6:22 AM
      On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 01:44:26AM +0200, Jeroen wrote:
      > On 3 July 2011 01:07, /dev/rob0 <rob0@...> wrote:
      > >> foo@... > forward to foobar@...
      > >
      > > Same-envelope forwarding to external sites is also quite likely
      > > to become a source of problems for you. When you receive and
      > > forward spam to this address, gmail content filtering will
      > > identify it as such, and will regard you as the spammer.
      >
      > I just tried the virtual_alias_maps option, and indeed this works.
      > Like you said, it does not change the envelop. Gmail does in fact
      > accept it, but this might not be the case for other MX's. Is there
      > an option for postfix to change the envelop?

      Not exactly, but there are workarounds. Delivery to a script which
      runs sendmail(1) and sets a sender is one such workaround. For more
      safety, possibly, you could run mutt(1) or Heirloom mailx to MIME-
      encode the message as an attachment. For absolute safety, mutt can
      invoke gpg(1) and encrypt the message.

      Since gmail [so far] is accepting your forwarded mail, it might be
      good enough to employ aggressive pre-acceptance or pre-forwarding
      spam controls. If there is any spam sign, quarantine and do not send
      it on its way.

      DKIM exists to help with this. Whether or not it would help with the
      specific problem, there is no way to know. But DKIM signing of
      outbound mail is a good idea in any case.

      > >> From reading the documentation, I think I need to implement
      > >> virtual_maps,
      > >
      > > Did you note in the documentation that virtual_maps was
      > > deprecated with Postfix 2.0?
      >
      > Actually I didn't; I found the manual page while googling. It might
      > have referred to an old version of the manual, or might have got it
      > from another source. I searched and read many pages before
      > consulting the mailing list.

      With most free software projects, and especially with Postfix, it's a
      good idea to check the project's own documentation before Google. And
      when you do come down to the need to Google for Postfix, start with
      searches of the various online archives of this mailing list.

      Most packages of Postfix from third-party distributors should include
      the complete documentation. I recommend to consult the local copy
      before the online versions, because features are added, and you must
      read carefully to see if a feature was not available in your version.

      If installing from source, be sure to set html_directory. If you're
      going to do much with Postfix, bookmark that in your browser. :)