Limit sent email to prevent spam

  • Antonio Tommasi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 3:56 AM
      Hi to all,
      i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.

      Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account, but our server often will list in blacklist.

      There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?Any other suggestion?

      Thnaks in advance

      Antonio
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 4:10 AM
        Am 01.07.2011 12:56, schrieb Antonio Tommasi:
        > Hi to all,
        > i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.
        >
        > Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password
        > of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account,
        > but our server often will list in blacklist.
        >
        > There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?
        > Any other suggestion?

        anvil_rate_time_unit = 1800s
        smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 50

        but this restricts only connections/ip and does not help
        if userdata form poor idiots are distrributed worldwide

        normally everybody who is offering userdata to foreigners should be tarred and feathered
        as also the individuals buying some crap after receiving spam mails since they are the
        only reason sending millions mails every hour is a working business
      • Robert Schetterer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 4:23 AM
          Am 01.07.2011 12:56, schrieb Antonio Tommasi:
          > Hi to all,
          > i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.
          >
          > Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account, but our server often will list in blacklist.
          >
          > There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?Any other suggestion?
          >
          > Thnaks in advance
          >
          > Antonio

          as quick workaround you could use clamav-milter
          with sanesecurity antipishing sigs, that should help with known wide
          spreaded spam

          --
          Best Regards

          MfG Robert Schetterer

          Germany/Munich/Bavaria
        • Selcuk Yazar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 4:26 AM
            Hi,

            we have same problem in turkey. we prefered policyd v2.0. It has user@domain quota control and other policy restrictions. but you need set your policies correctly

            selcuk

            On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:

            Am 01.07.2011 12:56, schrieb Antonio Tommasi:
            > Hi to all,
            > i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.
            >
            > Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password
            > of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account,
            > but our server often will list in blacklist.
            >
            > There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?
            > Any other suggestion?

            anvil_rate_time_unit                 = 1800s
            smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit   = 50

            but this restricts only connections/ip and does not help
            if userdata form poor idiots are distrributed worldwide

            normally everybody who is offering userdata to foreigners should be tarred and feathered
            as also the individuals buying some crap after receiving spam mails since they are the
            only reason sending millions mails every hour is a working business

            --
            Selçuk YAZAR
            http://www.selcukyazar.blogspot.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 6:05 AM
              On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 12:56:51 +0200, Antonio Tommasi wrote:

              > There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i
              > limit sent email in timestamp?Any other suggestion?

              reject forged phishmails before users is dump enough to reply on it
            • Simone Caruso
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1 7:20 AM
                On 01/07/2011 12:56, Antonio Tommasi wrote:
                > Hi to all,
                > i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.
                >
                > Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account, but our server often will list in blacklist.
                >
                > There is a way to limit this problem?
                Block incoming phishing mails with proper antispam/antivirus policies and softwares.

                > If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?
                policyd can help u with rate-limits but this is not the solution.

                --
                Simone Caruso
                IT Consultant
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 7:30 AM
                  At 05:56 AM 7/1/2011, you wrote:
                  >Hi to all,
                  >i describe my scenarious and i'd like any suggest to resolve/limit the problem.
                  >
                  >Some user, in my University, reply to phishing email and give username and password of your email account; then the malicious send spam email up to we block account, but our server often will list in blacklist.
                  >
                  >There is a way to limit this problem? If i enable smtp-auth can i limit sent email in timestamp?Any other suggestion?

                  I fixed this very bad problem we had with postfwd rate-limiting on our outbound gateway. I harvested from past outbound logs our legit senders of volume mail and except them from rate limiting. All other senders that exceed the rate limit get HOLD. fixed or problem.

                  We have not been able to stop all phishing inbound (postfix/IMGate + clam + 3rd party sigs on MX, then barracuda for content-scanning), but even there, postfwd inbound rate limiting stops much of the phishing that comes in bunches of many 10s or 100s.

                  Len