Re: Verifying relay recipients for upstream Exchange backend

  • Ansgar Wiechers
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
      On 2011-06-01 Len Conrad wrote:
      > At 04:48 PM 6/1/2011, you wrote:
      >> On 2011-06-01 Shawn Heisey wrote:
      >>> I do the first option by running a script on the exchange server every
      >>> 15 minutes, then grabbing the result five minutes later from the mail
      >>> relays. It does some sanity checks before replacing relay_recipients
      >>> and postmapping it.
      >>>
      >>> The Windows side (Exchange 2010 on 2008R2) of the process consists of
      >>> VBScript to grab the info from AD, which then runs a perl script to
      >>> clean up the file.
      >>
      >> What for? You can easily do all the cleaning with VBScript.
      >
      > I've been using this one for a couple years:
      >
      > <http://www-personal.umich.edu/~malth/gaptuning/postfix/getadsmtp.pl>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~malth/gaptuning/postfix/getadsmtp.pl
      >
      > awk to format it to a two-field ";" delimited file, and then mysqlimport

      I'm aware that this can be done in Perl. I just don't see any point in
      using VBScript to extract the data, and then switching to Perl for
      further processing.

      I also don't see any point in using awk to transform the output of a
      Perl script, BTW.

      Regards
      Ansgar Wiechers
      --Joel Spolsky
    • Shawn Heisey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
        On 6/2/2011 4:46 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
        > I'm aware that this can be done in Perl. I just don't see any point in
        > using VBScript to extract the data, and then switching to Perl for
        > further processing.
        >
        > I also don't see any point in using awk to transform the output of a
        > Perl script, BTW.

        I didn't write the VBScript, I found it on the Internet. When I
        upgraded from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, I had to find a whole new
        script, as the old one didn't work.

        The inital output leaves a lot to be desired from an automation
        standpoint, though I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable to your average
        Windows admin. Although VBScript is not completely opaque to me, I do
        not know it very well. The transformations required were very easy in
        Perl, which I do know. The sanity check and deployment on Linux was
        easiest in shell. If I were experienced in VBScript, I would have
        handled it without the intermediate step.

        I'm going to investigate Mr. Conrad's Perl/LDAP solution, which would be
        easy to customize and much less prone to breakage.

        Thanks,
        Shawn