Re: email tracking from postfix log file

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
      * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
      > Thank u ralf
      >
      > Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion

      The best book is:
      http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002893
      (IMHO of course)

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt
      Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
        As perl contains the most complete regular expression implementation,
        you may as well go into the perl tutorial for regular expressions:

        http://perldoc.perl.org/index-tutorials.html

        suomi

        On 2011-06-01 10:31, kshitij mali wrote:
        > Thank u ralf
        > Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion
        > all alway get complex reqirement to track the postfix log more oftenly
        > which will help
        > me .
        > for example 1. how many email got dilver from one intenal user for
        > certain domain in last 5 hrs
        > 2. how many email got deliver from one user to
        > external domains for last 3 week
        > etc
        > Regards,
        > Kshitij
        >
        > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
        > <Ralf.Hildebrandt@... <mailto:Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>> wrote:
        >
        > * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@... <mailto:foreplayboy@...>>:
        > > I want to list email send to the domain gmail.com
        > <http://gmail.com/> how to achive it
        > >

        > > cat /var/log/maillog | grep -i cleanup | egrep 'to=<*@...
        > <http://gmail.com/>'
        > >
        > > where * = all user of gmail.com <http://gmail.com/> domain i think
        > >
        > > is the above reular expression is correct ?
        >
        > No.
        >
        > egrep 'postfix/cleanup.*to=<.*@... <http://gmail.com/>>'
        > /var/log/maillog
        >
        > --
        > Ralf Hildebrandt
        > Geschäftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
        > Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
        > Campus Benjamin Franklin
        > Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
        > Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
        > ralf.hildebrandt@... <mailto:ralf.hildebrandt@...> |
        > http://www.charite.de <http://www.charite.de/>

      • Duane Hill
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
          Wednesday, June 1, 2011, 3:33:41 AM, Ralf wrote:

          > * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
          >> Thank u ralf
          >>
          >> Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion

          > The best book is:
          > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002893
          > (IMHO of course)

          I also use:

          http://www.regular-expressions.info/

          --
          Duane
        • kshitij mali
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
            Hi ,

            how to trace email from particular domain i want to trace all log from yahoo.com

            cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<*@yahoo.com'

            the above commad is not working properly pls some help me with regular expression

            Regards
            kshitij

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
              * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
              > Hi ,
              >
              > how to trace email from particular domain i want to trace all log from
              > yahoo.com
              >
              > cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<*@...'

              cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'

              --
              Ralf Hildebrandt
              Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
              Campus Benjamin Franklin
              Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
              Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
            • Tom Kinghorn
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                On 10/02/2012 09:28, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
                > * kshitij mali<foreplayboy@...>:
                > cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'

                Why waste processing cycles, just use egrep instead of using cat first.

                egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>' /var/log/maillog
              • Ralf Hildebrandt
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                  * Tom Kinghorn <thomas.kinghorn@...>:
                  > On 10/02/2012 09:28, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
                  > >* kshitij mali<foreplayboy@...>:
                  > >cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'
                  > >
                  > Why waste processing cycles, just use egrep instead of using cat first.
                  >
                  > egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>' /var/log/maillog

                  Yeah, but I wanted to make my change easy to spot.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
                    hi Ralf ,

                    Thanks for help me .

                    with the below expression its is showing me the logs for both "from=< " and "to=<" logs what i wanted was only
                    match the expression from each like only from=<anythinghere@...> lines

                    i know this will be tricky i m to trying to solve this expression if u can then pls help.

                    Regards,
                    Kshitij Mali

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 11, 2012
                      (perpetuating the useless use of cat and the hopelessly muddled top
                      posting)

                      cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>.*to='

                      -- Noel Jones