email tracking from postfix log file

  • kshitij mali
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
      I want to list email send to the domain gmail.com how to achive it

      cat /var/log/maillog | grep -i cleanup | egrep 'to=<*@gmail.com'

      where * = all user of gmail.com domain i think

      is the above reular expression is correct ?

      Please help i want the count for how mail email are sent to gmail.com domain.

      Regards,
      Kshitij
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
        * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
        > I want to list email send to the domain gmail.com how to achive it
        >

        > cat /var/log/maillog | grep -i cleanup | egrep 'to=<*@...'
        >
        > where * = all user of gmail.com domain i think
        >
        > is the above reular expression is correct ?

        No.

        egrep 'postfix/cleanup.*to=<.*@...>' /var/log/maillog

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt
        Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
          Thank u ralf

          Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion
          all alway get complex reqirement to track the postfix log more oftenly which will help
          me .

          for example 1. how many email got dilver from one intenal user for certain domain in last 5 hrs
                            2. how many email got deliver from one user to external domains for last 3 week
                      etc

          Regards,
          Kshitij

          egrep 'postfix/cleanup.*to=<.*@gmail.com>' /var/log/maillog

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
            * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
            > Thank u ralf
            >
            > Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion

            The best book is:
            http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002893
            (IMHO of course)

            --
            Ralf Hildebrandt
            Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
            Campus Benjamin Franklin
            Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
            Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
          • postfix
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
              As perl contains the most complete regular expression implementation,
              you may as well go into the perl tutorial for regular expressions:

              http://perldoc.perl.org/index-tutorials.html

              suomi

              On 2011-06-01 10:31, kshitij mali wrote:
              > Thank u ralf
              > Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion
              > all alway get complex reqirement to track the postfix log more oftenly
              > which will help
              > me .
              > for example 1. how many email got dilver from one intenal user for
              > certain domain in last 5 hrs
              > 2. how many email got deliver from one user to
              > external domains for last 3 week
              > etc
              > Regards,
              > Kshitij
              >
              > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
              > <Ralf.Hildebrandt@... <mailto:Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>> wrote:
              >
              > * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@... <mailto:foreplayboy@...>>:
              > > I want to list email send to the domain gmail.com
              > <http://gmail.com/> how to achive it
              > >

              > > cat /var/log/maillog | grep -i cleanup | egrep 'to=<*@...
              > <http://gmail.com/>'
              > >
              > > where * = all user of gmail.com <http://gmail.com/> domain i think
              > >
              > > is the above reular expression is correct ?
              >
              > No.
              >
              > egrep 'postfix/cleanup.*to=<.*@... <http://gmail.com/>>'
              > /var/log/maillog
              >
              > --
              > Ralf Hildebrandt
              > Geschäftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
              > Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
              > Campus Benjamin Franklin
              > Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
              > Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
              > ralf.hildebrandt@... <mailto:ralf.hildebrandt@...> |
              > http://www.charite.de <http://www.charite.de/>

            • Duane Hill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
                Wednesday, June 1, 2011, 3:33:41 AM, Ralf wrote:

                > * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
                >> Thank u ralf
                >>
                >> Can u please give me link for learn regular experssion

                > The best book is:
                > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596002893
                > (IMHO of course)

                I also use:

                http://www.regular-expressions.info/

                --
                Duane
              • kshitij mali
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                  Hi ,

                  how to trace email from particular domain i want to trace all log from yahoo.com

                  cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<*@yahoo.com'

                  the above commad is not working properly pls some help me with regular expression

                  Regards
                  kshitij

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                    * kshitij mali <foreplayboy@...>:
                    > Hi ,
                    >
                    > how to trace email from particular domain i want to trace all log from
                    > yahoo.com
                    >
                    > cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<*@...'

                    cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'

                    --
                    Ralf Hildebrandt
                    Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
                    Campus Benjamin Franklin
                    Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
                    Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
                  • Tom Kinghorn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                      On 10/02/2012 09:28, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
                      > * kshitij mali<foreplayboy@...>:
                      > cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'

                      Why waste processing cycles, just use egrep instead of using cat first.

                      egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>' /var/log/maillog
                    • Ralf Hildebrandt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2012
                        * Tom Kinghorn <thomas.kinghorn@...>:
                        > On 10/02/2012 09:28, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
                        > >* kshitij mali<foreplayboy@...>:
                        > >cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>'
                        > >
                        > Why waste processing cycles, just use egrep instead of using cat first.
                        >
                        > egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>' /var/log/maillog

                        Yeah, but I wanted to make my change easy to spot.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 10, 2012
                          hi Ralf ,

                          Thanks for help me .

                          with the below expression its is showing me the logs for both "from=< " and "to=<" logs what i wanted was only
                          match the expression from each like only from=<anythinghere@...> lines

                          i know this will be tricky i m to trying to solve this expression if u can then pls help.

                          Regards,
                          Kshitij Mali

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 11, 2012
                            (perpetuating the useless use of cat and the hopelessly muddled top
                            posting)

                            cat /var/log/maillog | egrep -i 'from=<.*@yahoo\.com>.*to='

                            -- Noel Jones