Re: Relay Access Denied

    Message 1 of 31 , May 28, 2011
      Le 27/05/2011 09:40, Kurniawan Junaidy a écrit :
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I am not able to send email through my postfix server by using any
      > external ip, but ok from my internal ip. The file says about Relay
      > Access Denied 554 5.7.1. How to fix this?

      it's already fixed! this prevents your server from becoming an open relay.

      to send mail to external domains via your postfix server, you need either
      - send from trusted IP addresses, such as "internal" IPs. this is what
      mynetworks is for. do not add IPs that you don't control.

      - authenticate using SASL. check the SASL_README. if you use clear text
      passwords, then you should also use TLS. see the TLS_README.
    • Mark Goodge
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 29, 2013
        On 28/10/2013 18:36, Tim Legg wrote:

        > Attached is the postconf -n
        > I've also been reading the link that Dr. Venema sent me. Could it be
        > that the mydestination is incorrect? Could it be:
        > mydestination = timothyxxxx.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost

        The above is what you need in order for your machine to accept mail
        addressed to {user}@.... However, you currently have this
        instead:

        > mydestination = mail.timothyxxxx.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost

        That will accept mail addressed to {user}@..., which is
        not the same thing.

        You appear to be under the mistaken impression that mydestination and
        myhostname are equivalent and must contain the same (or similar) values.
        That's not the case, at all. myhostname is, as the name implies, the
        specific name of the *machine* on which Postfix is running.
        mydestination is the domain, or comma-separated list of domains, that
        the machine handles mail for.

        Typically, the hostname of the machine will be a hostname within one of
        the domains in mydestination, simply because most people use an MTA to
        receive mail for themselves. But it doesn't have to be.

        In your particular case, since the MX records for timothyxxxx.com point
        to mail.timothyxxxx.com, then the most obvious (although not necessarily
        essential) myhostname value is mail.timothyxxxx.com. And, since the MX
        records for timothyxxxx.com point to mail.timothyxxxx.com, then the
        server needs to include timothyxxxx.com in mydestnations. Simple!

        Having said that, I do agree that the Ubuntu documentation is
        misleading. In the basic configuration section, it says this:

        The user interface will be displayed. On each screen, select the
        following values:

        Internet Site
        mail.example.com
        steve
        mail.example.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost
        No
        127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 192.168.0.0/24
        0
        +
        all

        Replace mail.example.com with the domain for which you'll accept
        email, 192.168.0.0/24 with the actual network and class range of your
        mail server, and steve with the appropriate username.

        Although the final paragraph is correct to say that you must "Replace
        mail.example.com with the domain for which you'll accept email", it's a
        poor example because mail.example.com is not, normally, used to
        illustrate a domain - instead, that value is usually used to illustrate
        a hostname (which, in the second line, it does). And using the same
        example value in myhostname (line 2) and mydestination (line 4) wrongly
        implies that the two should be the same.

        What the documentation should say is this:

        The user interface will be displayed. On each screen, select the
        following values:

        Internet Site
        mail.example.com
        steve
        example.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost
        No
        127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128 192.168.0.0/24
        0
        +
        all

        Replace example.com with the domain(s) for which you'll accept email,
        mail.example.com with your actual hostname, 192.168.0.0/24 with the
        actual network and class range of your mail server, and steve with
        the appropriate username.

        Specifically, the error made by the author is to use the same sample
        value for two different fields which, in real life, will usually have
        different actual values (albeit often, though not necessarily, related).
        Although someone who reads the official Postfix documentation will be
        able to figure it out for themselves, it still behoves the author of any
        tutorial to ensure that any worked examples or sample values they use
        reflect the most common real life usage.

        If you want to feed that back to the Ubuntu documentation maintainer,
        then feel free.

        Mark
        --
        My blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk