Re: different results using hash vs ldap for virtual domain lookup

    Message 1 of 10 , May 27 2:45 PM
      On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 04:54:49PM -0700, Stephen Ingram wrote:

      > >> May 26 14:49:04 smtp postfix/error[5684]: C5DB2CC056C:
      > >> to=<user3@...>, orig_to=<user@...>, relay=none,
      > >> delay=0.16, delays=0.13/0.01/0/0.0, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User
      > >> unknown in virtual alias table)
      > >
      > > The domain "penumbra.us" is incorrectly matched a virtual alias
      > > domain by the LDAP table.
      >
      > And, that is it! I'm trying to make a virtual domain out of the domain
      > that is also local to the system. I added that same domain to the hash
      > table and got the same error. Thank you so much for the help. I really
      > appreciate it.

      The lesson here is to not let preconceptions get in the way of clear
      evidence to the contrary.

      If the LDAP table behaves differently, and positing that software
      (Postfix) that handles billions of email messages each day (collectively
      across all Postfix installations) does not have obvious bugs, we must
      conclude that the LDAP table does not return the same results as the
      hash table.

      From there, it is only a matter of looking at the logs to determine
      which address is deemed to be undeliverable contrary to your intentions,
      and a quick query to check the LDAP data for its domain.

      Your main obstacle was your "refusal" to start with the obvious null
      hypothesis that the LDAP data is different, before moving to the less
      probable hypothesis that Postfix somehow mishandles virtual domain
      settings via LDAP.