Re: comments in mynetworks file

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2011
      Jan-Frode Myklebust:
      > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 07:59:02AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > > Jan-Frode Myklebust:
      > > > We just got bitten by a strange problem with our mynetworks-file. In
      > > > main.cf we have mynetworks = /etc/postfix/mynetworks, and the
      > > > /etc/postfix/mynetworks has been used to both include and exclude
      > > > networks for ages... using the format:
      > > >
      > > > #### BLACKLISTING ###
      > > > ## Only blocked systems in this block
      > > > !92.345.67.0/24 # BLACKLISTED - 17.09.10
      > >
      > > Postfix does not support trailing comments ANYWHERE.
      >
      > Got it, thanks!
      >
      > What about lines starting with a '#'. Are these supported for comments ?

      That is what Postfix documentation is for. If some feature is not
      in the documentation then it is not supported.

      Do not use experimentation to discover how Postfix works.
      That would make you dependent on unsupported behavior,

      Only the supported behavior has guarantees.

      Wietse
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2011
        On 5/12/2011 6:59 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > Jan-Frode Myklebust:
        >> We just got bitten by a strange problem with our mynetworks-file. In
        >> main.cf we have mynetworks = /etc/postfix/mynetworks, and the
        >> /etc/postfix/mynetworks has been used to both include and exclude
        >> networks for ages... using the format:
        >>
        >> #### BLACKLISTING ###
        >> ## Only blocked systems in this block
        >> !92.345.67.0/24 # BLACKLISTED - 17.09.10
        >
        > Postfix does not support trailing comments ANYWHERE.
        >
        > Wietse

        I discovered this long ago when I saw that my 'trailing' comments in my
        access file were in the 550 rejection text returned to smtp clients,
        including the '#'. Some of them were less than flattering. Heheh. I'm
        sure the spammers never saw them, but the occasional FP probably left a
        sour taste in a legit sender's mouth...

        --
        Stan